Supercapacitor as a Power Supply: Exploring the Possibilities

In summary: Supercapacitors can discharge energy gradually and not all at once like regular capacitors, and they can be charged much quicker than batteries. Certain aspects can apply to electric busses.
Shadow-Shocker
Can a supercapacitor be a power supply?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shadow-Shocker said:
Can a supercapacitor be a power supply?
What do you think and why?

phinds said:
What do you think and why?

I'm sorry I forgot to specify that I am looking for alternative solutions for batteries for a DIY project, I was looking at graphene and it has a really high conductivity around (3-8*10^5) S/m, but a power supply needs voltage, and it looks like most people are using graphene as superconductors. The question should be, can grapheme be a power supply?

Shadow-Shocker said:
The question should be, can grapheme be a power supply?
Can a copper wire be a power supply?

phinds said:
Can a copper wire be a power supply?
No, so I guess I am looking in the wrong direction.

Shadow-Shocker said:
No, so I guess I am looking in the wrong direction.
Yes, I think so. Graphene, as you seem to now realize, is just a material. It is a terrifically good conductor, but a conductor alone is just a conductor, not a source of energy.

You still have not been clear about what it is you are actually trying to do so It's impossible to give you any advice.

Likes CWatters
If you want a near constant voltage from your supply, a Capacitor, however super, will have its limitations. Q=CV, remember. On the other hand, a chemical battery can maintain its output volts for most of its charge and there are some pretty damn good batteries available these days.

Likes Shadow-Shocker
while graphene by itself cannot be a power supply it has been used as both a cathode or an anode it developing battery technologies, so to say that you are on the wrong track would not be 100% correct. Never stop the search just modify your approach!

Fun fact, you can install supercapacitors in place of your battery in a vehicle. Trivia question for you, why is that possible and under what circumstances would it be beneficial?

Boolean Boogey said:
Fun fact, you can install supercapacitors in place of your battery in a vehicle. Trivia question for you, why is that possible and under what circumstances would it be beneficial?
Supercapacitors can discharge energy gradually and not all at once like regular capacitors, and they can be charged much quicker than batteries. Certain aspects can apply to electric busses.

Boolean Boogey said:

What is a supercapacitor?

A supercapacitor is an electrochemical device that stores electrical energy through the separation of positive and negative charges. It is different from a battery in that it can charge and discharge much faster, but can hold less energy overall.

How does a supercapacitor work?

A supercapacitor works by storing energy in an electric field created by separated positive and negative charges on its electrodes. This allows for rapid charging and discharging, making it useful for applications that require quick bursts of energy.

What are the advantages of using supercapacitors?

Supercapacitors have several advantages over traditional batteries, including faster charging and discharging, longer lifespan, and the ability to operate in a wider range of temperatures. They also have a higher power density, meaning they can deliver more energy in a shorter amount of time.

What are the limitations of supercapacitors?

Some limitations of supercapacitors include their lower energy density compared to batteries, meaning they cannot store as much energy overall. They also have a higher self-discharge rate, meaning they lose their charge more quickly when not in use. Additionally, they can be more expensive to produce than batteries.

What are some potential applications of supercapacitors?

Supercapacitors have a variety of potential applications, including in electric vehicles, energy storage for renewable energy systems, and backup power sources. They are also commonly used in portable electronics and medical devices that require quick bursts of energy.