Superconducting resistive material

In summary, at temperatures above the critical temperature, the circuit behaves normally with a resistance R. However, when the temperature drops below Tc, the resistance becomes R=0 and a persistent current is created. The behavior of the capacitor in the circuit at this temperature is unknown. A type I superconductor is a material with a resistance that drops to 0 below Tc. In this circuit, the capacitor will remain fully charged and no current will flow through it, while infinite current will flow through the rest of the circuit. The voltage on both the resistor and capacitor will always be equal to the battery's voltage. To show the presence of a persistent current, an equation needs to be set up.
Reshma
In the given circuit, Resistance R is made up of type-I superconducting material with transition temperature Tc. The initial temperature of the circuit is T(>Tc). At time t=t0 the temperature is dropped below Tc. Find the current in the circuit at:
1] at t<t0 and through AB
2] at t=t0
3] at t>t0

My answer:

When the temperature is above the critical temperature, the circuit behaves normally. When the temperature is dropped below the crictical temperature, the resistance becomes R=0 and you get a persistent current. My problem is, I don't know what happens to the capacitor in the circuit once the temperature falls below Tc. Explanation needed...

Attachments

• SC.bmp
    78.8 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
Come on guys, help me out here! I don't think it is that difficult.

The voltage on both the resistor and the capacitor should be equal to the battery's voltage at all times. I don't know what's a type I superconductor, but I assume it's resistance drops to 0 once it's temperature drops below Tc. Therefore, capacitor will always remain fully charged and no current will flow through it, but infinite current will flow through the rest of the circuit.

pseudovector said:
The voltage on both the resistor and the capacitor should be equal to the battery's voltage at all times. I don't know what's a type I superconductor, but I assume it's resistance drops to 0 once it's temperature drops below Tc. Therefore, capacitor will always remain fully charged and no current will flow through it, but infinite current will flow through the rest of the circuit.
Thanks for replying!
Type I superconductors exhibit complete Meissner effect. I need to set up an equation to show that there is a persistent current in this circuit once the temperature falls below Tc. Any clues on how to proceed?

Related to Superconducting resistive material

What is superconducting resistive material?

Superconducting resistive material is a type of material that exhibits zero electrical resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature. This means that an electric current can flow through the material without any loss of energy or heat.

What are the properties of superconducting resistive material?

Superconducting resistive material has a few key properties that make it unique. These include zero electrical resistance, high current-carrying capacity, and the ability to expel magnetic fields from its interior (known as the Meissner effect).

How is superconducting resistive material used?

Superconducting resistive material has a variety of applications, including in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, particle accelerators, and power transmission lines. It can also be used in quantum computing and levitating trains.

What are some challenges in working with superconducting resistive material?

One of the main challenges in working with superconducting resistive material is the need to cool it to extremely low temperatures, often below -200 degrees Celsius. This can be expensive and requires specialized equipment. Additionally, the material is very brittle and can easily break under stress.

What are some potential future developments in superconducting resistive material?

Scientists are currently researching ways to increase the critical temperature of superconducting resistive material, as well as developing new materials with higher current-carrying capacities. There is also ongoing research into ways to create superconducting materials that can operate at room temperature, which would significantly expand their potential applications.