Superconductor book for starter?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's interest in learning more about superconductors and their request for book recommendations. The expert suggests "Superconductivity: A Very Short Introduction" by Stephen J. Blundell for a basic understanding of the topic and "QED" by Richard Feynman for a better grasp on the concepts of quantum mechanics, which will also help with understanding superconductivity.
ironGG
I got interested in this superconductor stuff a few week ago and I just want to learn more about this.
So any book or ebook recommendation about superconductor ? especially for starter ?

Note: I'm a new engineering student

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're a freshman or sophomore engineering student, I can't recommend much that goes into the details of our understanding of superconductivity.

Superconductivity: A Very Short Introduction by Stephen J. Blundell has some history and high school level explanation though. I haven't read it, but Blundell is very good at explaining physics in basic, straightforward terms. I imagine his explanations might be better than you'd get from a Scientific American article, say.

I just realized there's another popular-level book that will help you really understand the concepts of quantum mechanics.

QED by Richard Feynman is a wonderful book, and inexpensive. It's pitched at a popular level, but he doesn't use misleading analogies or patronize the reader. Because of that, this book is a good companion for the study of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory to build intuition.

It doesn't cover superconductors, but the material in it should help you with the concepts needed to understand superconductivity.

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with virtually no resistance or energy loss. This phenomenon occurs at extremely low temperatures, typically below -270 degrees Celsius, and is characterized by the complete expulsion of magnetic fields.

2. How do superconductors work?

Superconductors work by allowing electrons to move through the material without any resistance. At low temperatures, the atoms in the material vibrate less, creating a smoother path for the electrons to travel. This allows for a current to flow without any energy loss or heating up of the material.

3. What are the applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have a wide range of applications, including in medical imaging devices, power generation and transmission, high-speed trains, and quantum computers. They are also being researched for use in efficient energy storage and transportation systems.

4. Can superconductors be used at room temperature?

As of now, there are no known materials that exhibit superconductivity at room temperature. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new materials that may one day lead to the discovery of a room-temperature superconductor.

5. How can I learn more about superconductors?

There are many resources available for learning more about superconductors, including books, articles, and online courses. You can also attend conferences and workshops on the topic or reach out to experts in the field for further information.