Superposition of Electric Potential problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of total electric potential energy in a system of charges. The formula for electric potential energy between charges is Uq,Q = (kqQ)/r, while the formula for electric potential between charges is Vq,Q = (kq)/x + (kQ)/(x2-x). The correct expression for calculating the electric potential between two charges is Vq,Q = (kq)/5 + (kQ)/15. The total electric potential energy of the system is calculated by adding the electric potentials of each pair of charges, resulting in the equation Utotal = (3kq^2)/√2d - (kq^2)/d.
Lo.Lee.Ta.
1. A system consists of the charges -q at (-d,0), +2q at (d,0), and +3q at (0,d). What is the total electric potential energy of the system.

2. I'm wondering, is it necessary to calculate each electric potential between charges from lower electron potential to higher electron potential?

-V-q to +3q = [itex]\frac{k(-q)}{\sqrt{2}d}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{k(+3q)}{\sqrt{2}d}[/itex]

V= -[itex]\frac{2kq}{\sqrt{2}d}[/itex]

-V-q to +2q = [itex]\frac{k(-q)}{2d}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{k(+2q)}{2d}[/itex]

V= -[itex]\frac{kq}{2d}[/itex]

-V+2q to +3q = [itex]\frac{k(+2q)}{\sqrt{2}d}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{k(+3q)}{\sqrt{2}d}[/itex]

V= -[itex]\frac{5kq}{2d}[/itex]

The book solution says this last V should equal positive [itex]\frac{k(2q)(3q)}{\sqrt{2}d}[/itex]...
But more simplified, that would equal: 6q2k/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]d

So, how did they get this? And- why is it positive?

I thought that if we have low electric potential to high electric potential, then ΔV= (-)

(Va - Vb = ΔV = low - high = a NEGATIVE number)

In the first 2 calculations, we went from -q to +2q and -q to +3q.
So this means we went from LOW potential to HIGH potential. So it would make sense that these two V values are negative.

But the third also goes from lower to higher potential (+2q to +3q)... So why isn't this one also negative...?

#=_= So confused. :confused:

Please help? Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, to find the electric potential due to two charges q and Q separated by a distance r, you need to use the equation:

Vq,Q = [itex]\frac{kqQ}{r}[/itex]

To get the total electric potential you need to add up the electric potentials from each pair of charges. So for the last one you can see that it would in fact be what the book says. This is because both charges are positive. It doesn't matter in what order you calculate them, you will be adding them all up. So:

Vnet = V1,2 + V1,3 + V2,3

Oh, wow!

My problem was not using the right formula! :P

Formula for electric potential energy between charges: Uq,Q = (kqQ)/r

Formula for electric potential between charges: Vq,Q = [itex]\frac{kq}{x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{kQ}{(x2)-x}[/itex]

Let me know if I have this right, please:
If I have 2 charges (q at x=5 and Q at x=20), and I want to know the electric potential between them, I would say:
Vq,Q=[itex]\frac{kq}{5}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{kQ}{20-5}[/itex]

Is this the right expression?

Alright, back to my orginial problem...
Total electric potential energy of system:

Utotal = [itex]\frac{-kq(2q)}{2d}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{-kq(3q)}{\sqrt{2}d}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{k(2q)(3q)}{\sqrt{2}d}[/itex]

Utotal = [itex]\frac{3kq^2}{\sqrt{2}d}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{kq^2}{d}[/itex]

Thanks for the help! :)

Related to Superposition of Electric Potential problem

1. What is superposition of electric potential?

Superposition of electric potential is a principle in electromagnetism that states that the total electric potential at any point due to a collection of point charges is equal to the algebraic sum of the individual potentials at that point.

2. How is superposition of electric potential calculated?

The superposition of electric potential is calculated by adding up the potential contributions from each individual point charge using the equation V = kq/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the point charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

3. What is the significance of superposition of electric potential in solving problems?

Superposition of electric potential is an important concept in solving problems involving multiple point charges. It allows us to break down a complex problem into simpler parts and then add them together to find the total potential at a given point.

4. Are there any limitations to superposition of electric potential?

Superposition of electric potential assumes that the charges are stationary and that the electric potential is continuous. It also does not take into account the effects of external electric fields or conductors in the vicinity.

5. How can superposition of electric potential be applied in real-world situations?

Superposition of electric potential has many practical applications, such as in designing electrical circuits, calculating the potential energy of a charged particle, and understanding the behavior of electric fields in various systems, such as in capacitors and conductors.