E-field at the origin from two point charges

In summary, the electric field at the origin due to a point charge is given by:-Q/(4*pi*e0*R^2) * (1/4) * (r_1-r_0)
goohu
Homework Statement
Two point charges Q1 = Q, Q2 = 2Q are located at the points (x1; y1; z1) =
(0; 2; 1), (x2; y2; z2) = (1; 0; 2), determine the electric field at the origin (x; y; z) =
(0; 0; 0).
Relevant Equations
coulomb's law : E = Q/(4*pi*e0*R^2) , R = distance
Using superposition and "breaking up" the vectors into three components ax, ay, az on points should solve the task.

For Q1 there is no effect on x-axis.
On the y-axis the distance from Q1 to origin is 2. Using coulombs law will give us -> (-Q/4) * k , where k is the constant 1/(4*pi*e0).
On the z-axis the distance from Q1 to origin is 1. Using the same calculations we get: -Q*k.

We will use the same calculations for Q2 on all axis so let's me just write the results.
x-axis: distance is 1. We get -2Q*k.
y-axis: no effect.
z-axis: distance is 2. We get -2Q*k * (1/4).

Total electric field on all axis become:
x-axis: -2Q / (4*pi*e0)
y-axis: -Q/4 * 1/(4*pi*e0) = -Q/(16*pi*e0)
z-axis: (-Q - 2Q/4) * k = -3Q/(2*4*pi*e0) = -3Q / (8*pi*e0)

But the answer from the textbook is : Q/(20*√5*pi*e0 ) (-2 ; -2 ; -5 ). Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
goohu said:
Homework Statement:: Two point charges Q1 = Q, Q2 = 2Q are located at the points (x1; y1; z1) =
(0; 2; 1), (x2; y2; z2) = (1; 0; 2), determine the electric field at the origin (x; y; z) =
(0; 0; 0).
Relevant Equations:: coulomb's law : E = Q/(4*pi*e0*R^2) , R = distance

Using superposition and "breaking up" the vectors into three components ax, ay, az on points should solve the task.

On the y-axis the distance from Q1 to origin is 2. Using coulombs law will give us -> (-Q/4) * k , where k is the constant 1/(4*pi*e0).
On the z-axis the distance from Q1 to origin is 1. Using the same calculations we get: -Q*k.

We will use the same calculations for Q2 on all axis so let's me just write the results.

Total electric field on all axis become:
x-axis: -2Q / (4*pi*e0)
y-axis: -Q/4 * 1/(4*pi*e0) = -Q/(16*pi*e0)
z-axis: (-Q - 2Q/4) * k = -3Q/(2*4*pi*e0) = -3Q / (8*pi*e0)

But the answer from the textbook is : Q/(20*√5*pi*e0 ) (-2 ; -2 ; -5 ). Where did I go wrong?
Textbook answer looks good.

How far Q1 from the origin? (This is not a different number for x, y, and z components.)

How far Q2 from the origin?

goohu said:
What does this mean? Just because the charge is sitting along the x-axis does not mean that it does not have a component of E-field along that axis...

goohu said:
Homework Statement:: Two point charges Q1 = Q, Q2 = 2Q are located at the points (x1; y1; z1) =
(0; 0; 0).

What do you mean by "distance"?. The electric field at the origin is given by $$\vec E_1=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{(-\vec r_1)}{r_1^{3/2}}.$$Note the denominator. It's not ##x_1## for the x-component, ignored for the y-component and ##z_1## for the z-component. Similarly for charge 2. That' s where you went wrong.

Likes berkeman
goohu said:
(0; 0; 0).

you have to use the Coulomb Law in its vector form. The electric field at point ##\vec r## due to a point charge Q located at point ##\vec r_1## is
##\vec E = k\frac{Q}{|\vec r-\vec r_1|^3 }(\vec r-\vec r_1)##

Likes Delta2
goohu said:
goohu said:
If a test charge were to be put on the ##x##-axis or the ##y##-axis, would you say that it'll feel a force from both charges?

In any case, you have been decomposing the electric field wrongly. In three dimensions, the magnitude of a discrete charge's electric field is given by:
$$|\mathbf E|=\frac{kQ}{x^2+y^2+z^2}$$
Decomposing ##|\mathbf E|## in the ##y## direction, for example, you get:
$$|\mathbf E|_y=|\mathbf E|\cdot\hat y=|\mathbf E|\cos\theta=|\mathbf E|\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}=kQ\frac{y}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}}$$
where ##\theta## is the angle between the ##y##-axis and the electric field vector, NOT ##\pm\frac{kQ}{y^2}##.
Also, by ##x##, ##y## and ##z##, it is meant the (signed) distance (##x_\text{point}-x_\text{charge}## etc...) between the charge and the point in space, so that if your charge is at ##(a,\,b,\,c)## and your variable point is at ##(d,\,e,\,f)##, then ##x## wouldn't be just ##d##. The same goes for the other coordinates.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
archaic said:
In any case, you have been decomposing the electric field wrongly. In three dimensions, the magnitude of a discrete charge's electric field is given by:
$$|\mathbf E|=\frac{kQ}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}$$
No, the magnitude of electric field at the origin, due to a point charge Q at point (x,y,z) is

Likes archaic and Delta2
ehild said:
No, the magnitude of electric field at the origin, due to a point charge Q at point (x,y,z) is
##r^2##, my bad.

Likes Delta2
Thanks for the responses everybody. I solved some problems in 2D and mistakenly believed my method was correct.

The distance was kind of confusing me (maybe it still is).

If we look at Q1 for example the distance to origin is √5. It can be verified by pythagoras theorem for two dimensions.

Pythogaras theorem for three dimensions is IIRC : c^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2.
If we want the distance squared we should take c^2, so why do we instead calculate r1^(3/2) , which gives the right answer? Don't we want the distance to the point charge squared in the denominator?

Last edited:
goohu said:
Thanks for the responses everybody. I solved some problems in 2D and mistakenly believed my method was correct.

If we look at Q1 for example the distance to origin is √5. It can be verified by pythagoras theorem for two dimensions.

If we want the distance squared we should take c^2, so why do we instead calculate r1^(3/2) , which gives the right answer? Don't we want the distance to the point charge squared in the denominator?
Look at the numerator. It contains ##\vec r-\vec r'## that provides the direction and also adds an extra dimension of length.

Likes goohu
goohu said:
Don't we want the distance to the point charge squared in the denominator?
This for calculating the magnitude of the vector, but what you did was decomposing it into its three components and then sum them up using pythagoras' theorem to get the magnitude.
The distance as you are thinking of it is $$\sqrt{(x_\text{point}-x_\text{charge})^2+(y_\text{point}-y_\text{charge})^2+(z_\text{point}-z_\text{charge})^2}$$

goohu said:
You need the electric fields of both charges by magnitude and direction.
The magnitude is kQ/r2. As for the direction, the electric field vector points from the position of the positive charge to the point where you want to find the field, the origin in this problem. That is, the electric field is parallel to the vector ##\vec 0 -\vec r## To get the electric field vector, you have to multiply the magnitude by the direction vector,
the unit vector parallel to ##\vec 0 -\vec r## which is $$ \frac{\vec 0 -\vec r}{|\vec 0 -\vec r|}$$

goohu said:

The first thing you should have shown here is a sketch of the problem (which is a requirement for the students in my class).

efield.jpg

E1 is in the yz-plane, while E2 is in the xz-plane.

Next, are you able to write both E-vectors in their respective components? E1 only has y and z components, while E2 only has x and z components.

The resultant will be the sum of each individual components.

At this point, I'm not sure where you are along this step.

Zz.

Likes etotheipi and berkeman
I've the same sketch but it's handwritten and sloppy. Do you recommend any specific tool for those kind of sketches?

Anyway the problem has been solved, so thanks everyone! I used the method as ehild suggested at post number 5.

I suppose the E1 that are shown in the sketch could be written as the sum of the individual components which should be expressed using cos and sin and then divide it by the magnitude.
So for Q1 we get ; E = 2/sqrt(5) at the y direction and 1/sqrt(5) at the x direction. Does this look good?

I do have one last question though:

berkeman wrote;
"Just because the charge is sitting along the x-axis does not mean that it does not have a component of E-field along that axis... "

but ZapperZ then wrote;
"E1 is in the yz-plane, while E2 is in the xz-plane.

Next, are you able to write both E-vectors in their respective components? E1 only has y and z components, while E2 only has x and z components. "

I initially thought that E1 does NOT have a component on the x-axis since it is sitting on the axis. The two posts are giving conflicting information? (English is not my first language.)

goohu said:
I initially thought that E1 does NOT have a component on the x-axis since it is sitting on the axis. The two posts are giving conflicting information? (English is not my first language.)

The two posts are consistent. ##Q_{1}## is not sitting on the ##x## axis, it is in the ##y-z## plane. You know the field from this charge is going to be parallel to the line joining the charge and the origin, so evidently there can't be any ##x## component!

If the charge were to sit on the ##x## axis (for some reason...), there would only be an ##x## component at the origin.

Like @ZapperZ said, it's really important to consult diagrams to get a hold on the configuration.

When you say "sitting on the x-axis" do you mean the position of a charge Q is (x, 0 , 0)?

goohu said:
When you say "sitting on the x-axis" do you mean the position of a charge Q is (x, 0 , 0)?

Yes. But it was only an example, it's not part of your question.

1. What is an E-field at the origin from two point charges?

The E-field at the origin from two point charges refers to the electric field strength at a specific point in space, which is created by two point charges located at different positions.

2. How is the E-field at the origin calculated from two point charges?

The E-field at the origin is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field strength is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the E-field at the origin from two point charges?

The E-field at the origin is affected by the magnitude and sign of the two point charges, as well as the distance between them. The E-field also follows the principle of superposition, meaning that the total E-field at a point is the vector sum of the individual E-fields from each point charge.

4. How does the direction of the E-field at the origin change with different configurations of two point charges?

The direction of the E-field at the origin depends on the relative positions and charges of the two point charges. If the two charges have the same sign, the E-field will point away from both charges. If the two charges have opposite signs, the E-field will point towards the positive charge and away from the negative charge.

5. Can the E-field at the origin from two point charges be negative?

Yes, the E-field at the origin can be negative if the two point charges have opposite signs and are close enough to each other. In this case, the E-field will point towards the negative charge, resulting in a negative value for the E-field at the origin.