Supplementary book for intro signal processing class

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good book for an introductory signal processing class. The required textbook is "Signal Processing First" by James McClellan, which the person likes but feels does not provide enough practice problems. Other books mentioned include "DSP" by Oppenheim and Schafer, which is considered advanced, and "Signal and Systems" by Oppenheim and Willsky, which has more practice problems. The person is looking for a book similar to "Signals and Systems" for an introductory class.
aesoph13442
The required textbook for my intro signal processing class is "Signal Processing First"
by James McClellan. So far I like the book quite a lot because the author does a good job to explain the concepts clearly. However I feel like the book doesn't provide enough practice problems. I just want to know if any EE major have recommendations for my need. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the only post that doesn't have any response.
I just want to put something here to make myself feel better.
Thank you for checking this out. :)

By sig proc I assume you mean DSP (not statistical/adaptive signal processing). I'm not personally familiar with any intro level books, and maybe no one else here is either. I learned from "DSP" by Oppenheim and Schafer, which is advanced and one I wouldn't recommend to a beginner. Stearns coauthored a nice book on adaptive filtering with Bernie Widrow; his DSP book gets good reader reviews on Amazon, so you might check that one out.

The OP could also mean, or mean to include, analog signal processing and theory of continuous time systems and signals. In that case Schaum's Outline of Signals and Systems is a good book for reference and to work through.

I actually got the book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0138147574/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Oppenheim. I am not so sure if marcusl means the same book. Many people say he is an authority in that area and his books are really good but I personally found the one I got pretty dry. In contrast, the book by McClellan makes the concepts easier to digest. So far I have gone through the first 4 chapters and I am learning "sampling and aliasing" right now. (hopefully that can help you understand what my level is) What I am really asking is that I want to find a book like https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070459363/?tag=pfamazon01-20 for an intro "Signal and System" class. I want to have more practice problems to help me understand the concepts. Most of the problems provided by McClellan's book are just manipulations of trig and exponential eqs, which don't really help me to understand the concepts. I took a look at the book mentioned by bill. I think it is the closest to what I want. Finally, I want to ask marcusl about how he(or she?) read technical books like Oppenheim. I feel like I should read Oppenheim's book like chemistry. Its style is so much different than all the math and basic circuit books I used. I could just work through the problems first and then go back to the content. Working the problems helps me to understand those "processes" introduced in the books without reading the content. But for books like Oppenheim, I feel like I need to rephrase and memorize the content before actually working through the problems. Any opinion is welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
aesoph13442 said:
What I am really asking is that I want to find a book like https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070459363/?tag=pfamazon01-20 for an intro "Signal and System" class.

In that case, the Schaum's Outline I mentioned above is the closest thing I know. Looking at the table of contents of Oppenheim, the material the Schaum's guide covers is closer than I thought to what you're looking for. It only has 571 fully solved problems, but that's 571 more than any other signals and systems textbook I've seen. The rest of the book is typical Schaum's guide style explanation of concepts and methods.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071829466/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a supplementary book for an introductory signal processing class?

A supplementary book for an introductory signal processing class is meant to provide additional resources and explanations for concepts covered in the class. It can also include practice problems and examples to help reinforce understanding.

2. Do I need to purchase the supplementary book for the class?

This will depend on the specific requirements of your class and your learning style. Some students may find the supplementary book helpful for their understanding of the material, while others may be able to do well without it. It is best to consult with your instructor or syllabus for guidance.

3. How does the supplementary book differ from the textbook used in the class?

The supplementary book is meant to supplement the material covered in the textbook used in the class. It may offer a different perspective or more in-depth explanations on certain topics. It may also include additional practice problems or examples that are not found in the textbook.

4. Can the supplementary book be used as a replacement for attending lectures or studying the textbook?

No, the supplementary book should not be used as a replacement for attending lectures or studying the textbook. It is meant to be used as a supplement to enhance understanding and reinforce concepts learned in class.

5. Are there any other resources that can be used in addition to the supplementary book for better understanding of signal processing?

Yes, there are various online resources such as video lectures, tutorials, and practice problems that can also be used in addition to the supplementary book for better understanding of signal processing. It is always beneficial to use a variety of resources to enhance your learning experience.