Surface Area Calculation: u^2+v^2≤1

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the surface area of a surface with parametric equations and a given condition. The cross product is calculated and the magnitude of the vector is found. The surface area is then converted to polar coordinates and questions are raised about the bounds for r and θ. It is suggested to verify the given condition by substituting in the parametric equations.
bodensee9
Could someone help with the following?
I am asked to find the surface area of the following surface with parametric equations x = uv, y= u+v, z = u-v, and u^2+v^2≤1.

So d/du is <v,1,-1> and d/dv is <u,1,-1> And the cross product is -2i + (u+v)j + (v-u)k. So the magnitude of the vector is 4+2v^2+2u^2. If I convert this to polar coordinates, the surface area is ∫∫√(4+2r)drdθ. I am wondering, would r be between 0 and 1? And what about θ, to me that would seem to be between 0 and 2π? But this seems wrong as this would be the solution if the area were u^2+v^2 = 1. Could someone explain what the significance of the ≤ 1 is? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would verify the condition u^2+v^2≤1 is satisfied by directly substituting u=rcos \theta , v=r sin\theta

Related to Surface Area Calculation: u^2+v^2≤1

1. What is the formula for calculating surface area?

The formula for calculating surface area is u^2 + v^2 ≤ 1, where u and v are the length and width of the surface.

2. Why is it important to calculate surface area?

Calculating surface area is important because it helps us understand the physical properties of an object, such as its volume, density, and strength. It is also essential for various practical applications, such as designing buildings, packaging materials, and creating 3D models.

3. How is surface area different from volume?

Surface area is the total area of the exterior surface of an object, while volume is the space occupied by the object. Surface area is measured in square units, while volume is measured in cubic units.

4. Can the surface area of an object be greater than its volume?

Yes, it is possible for the surface area of an object to be greater than its volume. This can occur in objects with complex shapes, such as a sponge or a crumpled piece of paper, where the surface area is increased due to folds and creases.

5. How can surface area calculations be applied in real life?

Surface area calculations have numerous real-life applications, such as determining the amount of paint needed to cover a wall, calculating the amount of wrapping paper needed for a gift, and determining the amount of material needed to construct a bridge or a building. It is also used in fields like engineering, architecture, and manufacturing to design and create various structures and products.