Surface Area of a Sphere by Integration

In summary: Yes. You have to do some algebra to reduce it to a simple form. But once you get that form the integral is super easy.
IBY

Homework Statement

Say the sphere of radius "a" is made out of various rings with height R(x) and thickness dx. Adding up all of the rings will form a sphere, and in order to do that, I have to integrate.

Homework Equations

Trigonometric Substitution:
[tex]\frac{x}{a}=sin \theta[/tex]
[tex]dx=a cos \theta d\theta[/tex]

Function of ring height related to position in cartesian plane:
[tex]R(x)=\sqrt(a^2-x^2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Set up the integral, I just want to make my life simpler and integrate half a circle:
[tex]A=\int_0^a 2\pi R(x) dx[/tex]
Substitute R(x):
[tex]\int_0^a 2\pi \sqrt(a^2-x^2) dx[/tex]
Now using trigonometric substitution and factoring out a:
[tex]\int_0^a 2\pi a \sqrt(1-sin^2 \theta) dx[/tex]
Using pythagorean trig identity and trig substituting for dx:
[tex]\int_0^a 2\pi a cos\theta (a cos\theta d\theta)[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^a 2\pi a^2 cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]
Putting out all the constants, and integrating, using tables of integral, I get:
[tex]2\pi a^2\int_0^a cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]2\pi a^2\int_0^a cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]2\pi a^2 (\frac{\theta}{2}+\frac{sin(2\theta)}{4})|_0^a[/tex]

The problem is, how do I solve the final part of the definite integral? What I know is that the parenthesis should be equal to 1 because the surface area is 4 pi r^2 and I integrated half a sphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget to change your limits of integration when you make your substitution.

You might also want to take note that integrating ring circumference DOES NOT give you area. You might want to find a real formula for surface area before you put too much work into this.

@dick
But isn't (circumference*dx) the tiny little area I need?

Dick said:
You might also want to take note that integrating ring circumference DOES NOT give you area. You might want to find a real formula for surface area before you put too much work into this.

Oh, I think it should work just fine. For a circular ribbon of infinitesimal thickness [itex]dx[/itex] and cirumference [itex]2\pi R(x)[/itex], [itex]dA=2\pi R(x)dx[/itex] gives the area of one face of the ribbon.

gabbagabbahey said:
Oh, I think it should work just fine. For a circular ribbon of infinitesimal thickness [itex]dx[/itex] and cirumference [itex]2\pi R(x)[/itex], [itex]dA=2\pi R(x)dx[/itex] gives the area of one face of the ribbon.

Wanna think about that again? It gives you the area of the ribbon if it's vertical (i.e. parallel to the direction dx). If not it ignores the horizontal component. That's not a good enough approximation. Look up the formula for area of a surface of revolution.

Dick said:
Wanna think about that again? It gives you the area of the ribbon if it's vertical (i.e. parallel to the direction dx). If not it ignores the horizontal component. That's not a good enough approximation. Look up the formula for area of a surface of revolution.

Right, whoops... gotcha.

So first I have to solve the following for rings?
[tex]dA=2\pi y\sqrt(1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2)dx[/tex]

IBY said:
So first I have to solve the following for rings?
[tex]dA=2\pi y\sqrt(1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2)dx[/tex]

Yes. You have to do some algebra to reduce it to a simple form. But once you get that form the integral is super easy.

Related to Surface Area of a Sphere by Integration

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere using integration?

The formula for finding the surface area of a sphere using integration is S = 2π∫ab f(x) √(1+(f'(x))2) dx, where f(x) is the radius of the sphere and a and b represent the limits of integration.

2. Why do we use integration to find the surface area of a sphere instead of using a simpler formula?

Integration allows us to find the surface area of a sphere with any radius, not just specific ones that may have a formula. It also takes into account the fact that the surface of a sphere is curved, which cannot be accurately represented by a simple formula.

3. Can you explain the process of using integration to find the surface area of a sphere?

To find the surface area of a sphere using integration, we first divide the sphere into infinitely small strips and use the formula for the surface area of a cylinder to find the surface area of each strip. Then, we integrate these areas over the entire surface of the sphere to get the total surface area.

4. Can we use integration to find the surface area of a hemisphere?

Yes, we can use integration to find the surface area of a hemisphere by simply dividing the sphere into semicircles instead of full circles and integrating from 0 to the radius of the hemisphere.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using integration to find the surface area of a sphere?

Yes, finding the surface area of a sphere using integration has many real-world applications, such as in calculating the surface area of a planet, a balloon, or a water droplet. It is also used in engineering and physics to calculate the surface area of curved objects in various designs and calculations.