Surface density of the charges induced on the bases of the cylinder

This means that ##\varepsilon = \frac{\varepsilon_r}{\varepsilon_0}##, where ##\varepsilon_r## is the relative permittivity and ##\varepsilon_0## is the permittivity of free space. So, in this case, ##\varepsilon## is indeed dimensionless.
rokiboxofficial Ref
Homework Statement
The dielectric cylinder is in an external uniform electric field E, which is parallel to the axis of the cylinder. Find the surface density of the charges induced on the bases of the cylinder. Dielectric constant of the cylinder material is equal to ε. The height of a cylinder is much less than the radius of its bases.
Relevant Equations
##E_{in} = E_{out} - E_{ind}##
##E_{in} = \frac{E_{out}}{\varepsilon}##
The correct answer to this problem is: ##\sigma = \varepsilon_0E\frac{\varepsilon-1}{\varepsilon}##
Here is my attempt to solve it, please tell me what is my mistake?
##E_{ind} = E_{out} - E_{in}##
##E_{ind} = E_{out} - \frac{E_{out}}{\varepsilon}##
##E = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0\varepsilon}##
##E_{ind} = E_{ind+} + E_{ind-}##
##E_{ind} = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0\varepsilon} + \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0\varepsilon} = \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon_0\varepsilon}##
##\sigma = E_{ind}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon##
##\sigma = \left( E_{out} - \frac{E_{out}}{\varepsilon} \right)\varepsilon_0\varepsilon##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon- \frac{E_{out}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon}{\varepsilon}##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon- E_{out}\varepsilon_0##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\left( \varepsilon- 1 \right)##

Physics news on Phys.org
I think ##~E_{in} = \frac{E_{out}}{\varepsilon}~## should be ##~E_{in} = \frac{\varepsilon_0 E_{out}}{\varepsilon}~## otherwise the dimensions are incorrect. See if that fixes the problem.

kuruman said:
I think ##~E_{in} = \frac{E_{out}}{\varepsilon}~## should be ##~E_{in} = \frac{\varepsilon_0 E_{out}}{\varepsilon}~## otherwise the dimensions are incorrect. See if that fixes the problem.
No, it doesn't fix it:

##E_{in} = \frac{\varepsilon_0E_{out}}{\varepsilon}##
##E_{ind} = E_{out} - \frac{\varepsilon_0E_{out}}{\varepsilon}##
##\sigma = \left( E_{out} - \frac{\varepsilon_0E_{out}}{\varepsilon} \right)\varepsilon_0\varepsilon##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon- \frac{\varepsilon_0E_{out}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon}{\varepsilon}##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon- E_{out}{\varepsilon_0}^2##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\left( \varepsilon- \varepsilon_0 \right)##

And the formula ##E_{in} = \frac{E_{out}}{\varepsilon}## was given to me in the training material for the task, I think that it is most likely correct.

rokiboxofficial Ref said:
The correct answer to this problem is: ##\sigma = \varepsilon_0E\frac{\varepsilon-1}{\varepsilon}##
Here is my attempt to solve it, please tell me what is my mistake?
##E = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0\varepsilon}##
##E_{ind} = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0\varepsilon} + \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0\varepsilon} = \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon_0\varepsilon}##
##\sigma = E_{ind}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon##
##\sigma = \left( E_{out} - \frac{E_{out}}{\varepsilon} \right)\varepsilon_0\varepsilon##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon- \frac{E_{out}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon}{\varepsilon}##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\varepsilon- E_{out}\varepsilon_0##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\left( \varepsilon- 1 \right)##
I believe the mistake occurs where you wrote $$E = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0\varepsilon}$$ for the electric field produced by ##\sigma## on one of the surfaces. You can treat the surface as an infinite plane. The electric field produced by an infinite plane of surface charge ##\sigma## can be found using Gauss' law.

kuruman said:
Looks like ##\varepsilon## is being used for the relative permittivity, so is dimensionless.

TSny said:
I believe the mistake occurs where you wrote $$E = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0\varepsilon}$$ for the electric field produced by ##\sigma## on one of the surfaces. You can treat the surface as an infinite plane. The electric field produced by an infinite plane of surface charge ##\sigma## can be found using Gauss' law.
Yes, you are right! Thank you a lot!
Is this solution a correct?
By Gauss' law:
##\frac{q}{\varepsilon_0} = ES_{full}##
##\frac{q}{\varepsilon_0} = 2ES##
##E = \frac{q}{2\varepsilon_0S}##
##E = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0}##
##E_{ind} = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0} + \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0} = \frac{\sigma}
{\varepsilon_0}##
##\sigma = E_{ind}\varepsilon_0##
##\sigma = \left( E_{out} - \frac{E_{out}}{\varepsilon} \right)\varepsilon_0##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0- \frac{E_{out}\varepsilon_0}{\varepsilon}##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\left( 1 - \frac{1}{\varepsilon}\right)##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\left( \frac{\varepsilon}{\varepsilon} - \frac{1}{\varepsilon}\right)##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\left(\frac{\varepsilon - 1}{\varepsilon}\right)##

rokiboxofficial Ref said:
Yes, you are right! Thank you a lot!
Is this solution a correct?
By Gauss' law:
##\frac{q}{\varepsilon_0} = ES_{full}##
##\frac{q}{\varepsilon_0} = 2ES##
##E = \frac{q}{2\varepsilon_0S}##
##E = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0}##
##E_{ind} = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0} + \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0} = \frac{\sigma}
{\varepsilon_0}##
##\sigma = E_{ind}\varepsilon_0##
##\sigma = \left( E_{out} - \frac{E_{out}}{\varepsilon} \right)\varepsilon_0##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0- \frac{E_{out}\varepsilon_0}{\varepsilon}##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\left( 1 - \frac{1}{\varepsilon}\right)##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\left( \frac{\varepsilon}{\varepsilon} - \frac{1}{\varepsilon}\right)##
##\sigma = E_{out}\varepsilon_0\left(\frac{\varepsilon - 1}{\varepsilon}\right)##
Looks good.

Likes rokiboxofficial Ref
haruspex said:
Looks like ##\varepsilon## is being used for the relative permittivity, so is dimensionless.
Yes. ##\varepsilon## is given to be the "dielectric constant", which is the same as the relative permittivity.

1. What is the definition of surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder?

The surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit area on the surface of the cylinder's bases. It is usually denoted by the symbol σ and is measured in units of coulombs per square meter (C/m2).

2. How is the surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder calculated?

The surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder can be calculated by dividing the total amount of electric charge induced on the bases by the total surface area of the bases. It can also be calculated by taking the limit of the average charge per unit area as the surface area approaches zero.

3. What factors affect the surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder?

The surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder is affected by the amount of charge on the cylinder, the radius of the cylinder, and the dielectric constant of the material surrounding the cylinder. It is also affected by the distance between the cylinder and any external charges or fields.

4. How does the surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder relate to the electric field?

The surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder is directly proportional to the electric field at the surface of the cylinder's bases. This means that as the electric field increases, the surface density of charges also increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of the surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder?

The surface density of charges induced on the bases of a cylinder is an important concept in understanding the behavior of capacitors, which are widely used in electronic devices. It is also relevant in the study of lightning strikes, as the charge induced on the surface of a lightning rod is directly related to the surface density of charges on its bases.