Surface energy simple cubic crystal

In summary, the surface energy for the (001) plane in a simple cubic lattice is equal to 1/2a^2 times the energy associated with breaking bonds between the two layers of atoms. Your approach of counting broken bonds is incorrect and the correct method is to count the number of atoms in each layer of the unit cell.
aaaa202
I want to calculate the surface energy for the (001) plane in a simple cubic lattice. My idea is this:
When I cleave a simple cubic crystal I create 2 surfaces each sharing an amount of broken bonds. I want to find the amount of broken bonds per area, because I can associate an energy with these broken bonds. I associate both an energy for the broken bonds for first nearest neighbours, second nearest neighbours and third nearest neighbours. If the lattice constant is a there is one atom per area a^2. So I find the energy corresponding to the broken bond of this atom and divide by 2*a^2 (because I create 2 surfaces).
Where I think I go wrong is finding the amount of nearest neighbours. For first nearest neighbours there is only one. For the second I count 5 since for the atoms between which a bond has been broken there are 5 other atoms being first neighbours. And the third nearest neighbour broken bonds can be counted with the same idea. However this is not at all what my book gets (author gets 1,4,4. Where am I misunderstanding something? I have attached a sketch of my counting logic. The bonds are counted with respect to the red dotted atoms, and the green is first nearest neighbour, yellow second and black third (though the drawing doesn't include all of the these)
Is this even the correct way to go about the problem?

Attachments

• lattice.jpg
    lattice.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 693
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is incorrect. You should not be counting the number of broken bonds, but the number of atoms that are in each layer. For the (001) plane in a simple cubic lattice, there are two layers of atoms in each unit cell: the top layer with one atom, and the bottom layer with three atoms. The surface energy is then equal to the energy associated with breaking the bonds between the two layers, divided by the area of the unit cell (2a^2). This means that the surface energy of the (001) plane in a simple cubic lattice is equal to 1/2a^2 times the energy associated with breaking the bonds between the two layers.

1. What is surface energy in a simple cubic crystal?

Surface energy refers to the amount of energy that exists at the surface of a simple cubic crystal. It is the energy required to create a new surface, and is often measured in units of energy per unit area, such as joules per square meter.

2. How does surface energy affect the properties of a simple cubic crystal?

The surface energy of a simple cubic crystal can affect its properties in various ways. For example, high surface energy can lead to increased reactivity, while low surface energy can result in a more stable and inert crystal structure. In addition, surface energy can also influence processes such as crystal growth and dissolution.

3. How is surface energy calculated for a simple cubic crystal?

Surface energy can be calculated using various theoretical models and experimental techniques. One common method is to measure the contact angle between a liquid and the crystal surface, and then use this angle to calculate the surface energy using the Young-Laplace equation.

4. What factors can affect the surface energy of a simple cubic crystal?

The surface energy of a simple cubic crystal can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as crystal structure, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects on the surface. Additionally, the type of bonding within the crystal lattice can also play a role in determining the surface energy.

5. How can surface energy be manipulated in a simple cubic crystal?

Surface energy can be manipulated in a simple cubic crystal through various methods, such as altering the crystal structure, introducing impurities or defects, or changing the temperature or environment in which the crystal is grown. These manipulations can result in changes to the surface energy, which can in turn affect the properties and behavior of the crystal.