Effect of Lattice Vibrations on Vacancy Formation.

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple model for the effect of vacancies on the frequency of vibration in atoms. The solution to part (b) of the problem is provided, with an approximation for both high and low temperatures. There appears to be a typo in the text solution, which has been corrected in the third edition of the textbook.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

To establish the effect qualitatively, consider the following crude model. Each atom vibrates as an independent three-dimensional Einstein oscillator of frequency ##\omega_0##. Assume further that if a nearest-neighbour site is vacant, the frequencyof the mode corresponding to vibration in the direction of the vacancy changes from ##\omega_0## to ##\omega##. Let ##q## be the number of nearest neighbours.

(a) Show that in this simple model, $$\Delta A = nqk_B T \ln(\frac{\sinh(\beta \hbar \omega/2)}{\sinh(\beta \hbar \omega_0/2)})$$

where ##n## is the total number of vacancies.

(b) Consider as an example a simple cubic lattice. Each mode then corresponds to the vibration of two springs. If one of them is cut, the simplest assumption one can make is: $$\omega = \omega_0/\sqrt{2}$$
Show that for high temperatures , ##\beta \hbar \omega \ll 1##, $$e^{-\beta\Delta A/n}\approx 8$$
while for ##\beta\hbar \omega \gg 1##, $$\Delta A \approx -3/2 n\hbar \omega_0 (2-2\sqrt{2}).$$
I am not sure I understand how did they solve question (b).

Here's the solution to question (b):

For ##\beta \hbar \omega \ll 1## we approximate ##\sinh x \approx x## and with ##q=6##, the result follows immediately. Similarly, at low tempratures, ##\beta \hbar \omega \gg 1## we use ##\sinh x \approx e^x/2##, and obtain the other limiting result.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first approximation I plugged everything to the identity in (a) and indeed got the approximation as it's written in the text, as for the second approximation I get:

$$\Delta A \approx 6nk_B T \ln(e^{\beta \hbar \omega_0/2(1/(\sqrt{2})-1) }) = \ldots =(-3/2) n\hbar \omega_0 (2-\sqrt{2})$$

Am I correct? Is there another mistake in a problem in this textbook of Bergersen's and Plischke's?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your result. It does appear that there is a (typographical?) error in the text solution.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
TSny said:
I agree with your result. It does appear that there is a (typographical?) error in the text solution.
Yes, it appears it got corrected in the third edition, I really should be using it now instead of the second edition.

1. What are lattice vibrations?

Lattice vibrations, also known as phonons, are the collective movements of atoms within a crystal structure. These vibrations are caused by thermal energy and can be described as oscillations of atoms around their equilibrium positions.

2. How do lattice vibrations affect vacancy formation?

Lattice vibrations can cause atoms to move away from their original positions, creating a vacancy. As the atoms vibrate, they can break bonds with neighboring atoms and create a void in the crystal lattice. This is known as a vacancy formation.

3. What is the impact of lattice vibrations on vacancy formation?

The impact of lattice vibrations on vacancy formation is significant in materials science. These vacancies can alter the material's properties, such as its electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and mechanical strength. They can also affect diffusion processes within the material.

4. How do researchers study the effect of lattice vibrations on vacancy formation?

Researchers use a variety of techniques, such as X-ray diffraction and neutron scattering, to study the lattice vibrations and their impact on vacancy formation. These techniques allow them to observe the changes in the crystal structure and measure the vibrations and vacancies present.

5. Can lattice vibrations be controlled to prevent vacancy formation?

Yes, researchers have been exploring ways to control lattice vibrations to prevent vacancy formation. One approach is to introduce impurities or defects in the crystal structure, which can dampen the vibrations. Another method is to modify the material's composition to reduce the thermal energy and thus reduce the lattice vibrations.