Surface Integral: Evaluating Double Integral of f.n ds on Sphere

In summary, the student is trying to integrate an odd function of z and is having trouble. They explain that the symmetry of the sphere makes the integration process obvious. The divergence theorem is explained and the student is thanked for their help.
anand

Homework Statement

Evaluate [double integral]f.n ds where f=xi+yj-2zk and S is the surface of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2 above x-y plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the sphere's orthogonal projection has to be taken on the x-y plane,but I'm having trouble with the integration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, you will have to do upper and lower hemispheres separately. One way to get the projection into the xy-plane is to find the gradient of x2+ y2+z2, 2xi+ 2yj+ 2zk, and "normalize by dividing by 2z: (x/z)i+ (y/z)j+ k. Then n dS is (x/z)i+ (y/z)j+ k dxdy.
f.n dS is ((x2/z)+ (y2/z)- 2z) dxdy. I think I would rewrite that as ((x2/z)+ (y2/z)+ z- 3z) dxdy= ((x2+ y2+ z2)/z- 3z) dxdy= (a^2/z- 3z)dxdy. Now, for the upper hemisphere, [itex]z= \sqrt{a^2- x^2- y^2}[/itex] while for the negative hemisphere it is the negative of that. Because your integrand is an odd function of z, I think the symmetry of the sphere makes this obvious.

Finally, do you know the divergence theorem?
[tex]\int\int_T\int (\nabla \cdot \vec{v}) dV= \int\int_S (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{n}) dS[/tex]
where S is the surface of the three dimensional region T. Here [itex]\nabla\cdot f[/itex] is very simple and, in fact, you don't have to do an integral at all! I wouldn't be surprized to see this as an exercise in a section on the divergence theorm.

I know this is a bit embarrassing for me,but how d'you integrate
(a^2/z- 3z)dxdy .After having substituted for z,and converted to polar co-ordinates,I get zero in the denominator!

This is the expression:
[double integral]a^2/(sqrt(a^2-x^2-y^2)) dx dy.
For conversion to polar co-ords,if I substitute x=a cos(theta) and
y=a sin(theta),the denominator becomes zero.

(Thanks a lot for the help anyway:smile: )

Why bother to find an anti-derivative? The function is odd in z and the region of integration is symmetric about the origin- the integral is 0.

My point about the divergence theorem is that [itex]\nabla \cdot (x\vec{i}+y\cdot\vec{j}-2z\vec{k}) = 1+ 1- 2= 0[/tex]! The integral of that over any region is 0!

Thanks a lot.:smile:
(The question did ask not to use divergence theorem,by the way)

Did it say you couldn't?:rolleyes:

Related to Surface Integral: Evaluating Double Integral of f.n ds on Sphere

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the area of a surface or the flow of a vector field across a surface. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you evaluate a double integral of f.n ds on a sphere?

To evaluate a double integral of f.n ds on a sphere, you first need to parameterize the surface of the sphere using spherical coordinates. Then, you can use the formula for a surface integral to calculate the value by integrating the function over the surface.

3. What is the significance of the dot product (f.n) in a surface integral?

The dot product (f.n) in a surface integral represents the component of the vector field that is perpendicular to the surface at each point. This allows us to calculate the flow of the vector field across the surface.

4. Can a surface integral be used to calculate the volume enclosed by a surface?

Yes, a surface integral can be used to calculate the volume enclosed by a surface. This can be done by integrating the constant function 1 over the surface, which represents the area of each infinitesimal surface element, and then taking the double integral of this function over the surface.

5. Are there any real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many real-world applications, such as in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. They are also used in fields like geology, biology, and engineering to calculate quantities like flow rates, surface tension, and electric flux across surfaces.