Surjective function g and the floor function

In summary: Since \delta(a_n) = \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\sharp\{j : a_j \leq n\}}{n}, we can write x as \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\sharp\{j : x_j \leq n\}}{n}, which is equal to \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\lfloor \frac{n}{x} \rfloor}{n}. This limit is equal to x, so \delta(x_n) = x.
mahler1
Homework Statement .
Let ##A## be the set of sequences ##\{a_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}##:
1) ##a_n \in \mathbb N##
2) ##a_n<a_{n+1}##
3) ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {\sharp\{j: a_j \leq n\}} {n}## exists.Call that limit ##\delta (a_n)## and define the distance (I've already proved this is a distance) ##d(a,b)=|\delta (a) -\delta (b)|+k^{-1}## where ##k=\{min j : a_j≠b_j\}## and ##d(a,a)=0## for any two sequences ##a## and ##b##. Prove that the function ##g:(A,d) \to [0,1]## defined as ##g(\{a_n\})=\delta(\{a_n\})## is surjective and continuous. The attempt at a solution.
I didn't have problems to prove that this function is continuous (in fact, it's uniformly continuous), but I am totally lost at the surjectivity part. The only elements in the codomain to which I could associate two members of the domain where ##0## and ##1##. Someone suggested me to consider for each ##x \in (0,1)##, the sequence ##{x_n}## with ##x_n=\lfloor \frac {n} {x}\rfloor##. It's immediate this sequence is of natural numbers, but how can I prove that ##\lfloor \frac {n} {x}\rfloor <\lfloor \frac {n+1} {x}\rfloor ## and that ##\delta (x_n)=x##?

If someone has a better suggestion/idea of how could I prove surjectivity, you are welcome to tell me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how that defines g.

haruspex said:
I don't understand how that defines g.

Sorry, I've corrected notation. There is no ##f##, it's always ##g##.

mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .
Let ##A## be the set of sequences ##\{a_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}##:
1) ##a_n \in \mathbb N##
2) ##a_n<a_{n+1}##
3) ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac {\sharp\{j: a_j \leq n\}} {n}## exists.

Call that limit ##\delta (a_n)## and define the distance (I've already proved this is a distance) ##d(a,b)=|\delta (a) -\delta (b)|+k^{-1}## where ##k=\{min j : a_j≠b_j\}## and ##d(a,a)=0## for any two sequences ##a## and ##b##. Prove that the function ##g:(A,d) \to [0,1]## defined as ##g(\{a_n\})=\delta(\{a_n\})## is surjective and continuous.

The attempt at a solution.
I didn't have problems to prove that this function is continuous (in fact, it's uniformly continuous), but I am totally lost at the surjectivity part. The only elements in the codomain to which I could associate two members of the domain where ##0## and ##1##. Someone suggested me to consider for each ##x \in (0,1)##, the sequence ##{x_n}## with ##x_n=\lfloor \frac {n} {x}\rfloor##. It's immediate this sequence is of natural numbers, but how can I prove that ##\lfloor \frac {n} {x}\rfloor <\lfloor \frac {n+1} {x}\rfloor ##

The floor function is non-decreasing, so immediately [itex]x_n \leq x_{n+1}[/itex]. To exclude equality, consider the fact that [itex]\frac{n+1}x - \frac nx = \frac 1x[/itex] and use the condition that [itex]0 < x < 1[/itex] to show that there must exist an integer between [itex]\frac{n}{x}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{n + 1}{x}[/itex].

Likes 1 person

FAQ about Surjective Function g and the Floor Function

1. What is a surjective function?

A surjective function, also known as an onto function, is a function where every element in the range of the function is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, every output value has at least one corresponding input value.

2. How is a surjective function different from an injective function?

A surjective function is different from an injective function in that an injective function maps each input value to a unique output value, while a surjective function can have multiple input values mapping to the same output value.

3. What is the floor function?

The floor function, denoted as "⌊x⌋", is a mathematical function that takes a real number as an input and rounds it down to the nearest integer. For example, ⌊4.5⌋ = 4 and ⌊-2.3⌋ = -3.

4. How are the surjective function g and the floor function related?

The surjective function g and the floor function are related in that the floor function can be used to define the surjective function g. For example, g(x) = ⌊x⌋ is a surjective function, as every integer is mapped to by at least one real number.

5. What is the importance of surjective functions and the floor function in mathematics?

Surjective functions and the floor function are important concepts in mathematics as they are used to model and understand real-world situations. Surjective functions are also important in proving the existence of solutions to equations, and the floor function is commonly used in number theory and computer science.