Survival Probability of a free particle in time?

In summary, the student is struggling with understanding the basics of the free particle and is looking for help. He has tried simple things like calculating the probability using the usual integral over all space but that didn't work. He needs to use something more complex like a propagator perhaps but his knowledge is very limited. He is also trying to reproduce a graph in mathematica that originated from a paper on tunnelling out of a time dependent well but he is a rookie in this field and he's trying to teach himself the physics as he goes along.
Poirot

Homework Statement

I want to plot a graph of the survival probability of the initial state ψ = e-|x| for a free particle. Hopefully this will enable me to plot some more difficult examples like the inverted oscillator etc for a project but I'm struggling fundamentally with the free particle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried simple things like trying to calculate the probability using the usual integral over all space but that didn't work. I think I need to use something more complex like a propagator perhaps but my knowledge is very limited. Do I need to confine my wavefunction so it can be normalised? how do I find the time dependence for this initial state?

Any help on how to approach this would be great! I'm ultimately trying to reproduce a graph in mathematica that originated from a paper on tunnelling out of a time dependent well but I am a rookie in this field and I'm trying to teach myself the physics as I go along.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can normalize your state as it falls off quickly enough for large x (the integral over the whole space exists).
The Schrödinger equation will tell you how the state evolves over time.

Survival of what?

mfb said:
You can normalize your state as it falls off quickly enough for large x (the integral over the whole space exists).
The Schrödinger equation will tell you how the state evolves over time.

Survival of what?
Thank you! I will give that a go. And it says 'survival probability of the initial state'. I'm a little confused as to why the probability for a free particle wouldn't be 1 for all time?

You can look at ##\langle \Psi(t) | \Psi(0) \rangle## I guess. It will start at 1 and go to zero over time. That is some sort of survival.

I have integrated the wavefunction and got that it's already normalised. When I introduce a factor of e^(-iwt) for the time-dependence and then take the inner product I just get 1 with no time dependence?

Poirot said:
When I introduce a factor of e^(-iwt) for the time-dependence
What is w?

Follow-up question: Can you really assume that?

mfb said:
What is w?

Follow-up question: Can you really assume that?
I meant omega as w, but I realize I made an assumption rather than calculating it.
I have plugged my function ψ(t) = c(t) e^(-|x|) into the TDSE to try and solve for c(t) this gives me an expression:
\begin{eqnarray*}
\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} c(t) e^{-|x|} + \frac{\hbar^2}{m} c(t) \delta(x) = i\hbar \frac{dc}{dt}e^{-|x|}
\end{eqnarray*}
I then equated the coeffecients of e^-|x| and integrated to get c(t) = exp[iħt/2m]
but I'm not sure if that's allowed mathematically.

I tried finding the inner product of this TD state with the initial state and again got 1 for the probability due to the e^i... part being mod^2 at the end?

You are assuming that you can separate the wave function into a time- and a space-dependent part. See the follow-up question from my previous post.

You cannot do that, the wave function cannot be expressed that way.
Poirot said:
but I'm not sure if that's allowed mathematically.
The ##\delta(x)## is relevant as well.

mfb said:
You are assuming that you can separate the wave function into a time- and a space-dependent part. See the follow-up question from my previous post.

You cannot do that, the wave function cannot be expressed that way.The ##\delta(x)## is relevant as well.
Am I right in thinking you can't assume we can use separation of variables because the TISE isn't satisfied by the wavefunction?

I haven't ever come across a wavefunction in which one can't assume separation of variables, would I have to assume c = c(x,t) and solve the differential equation for this?
Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm being pushed beyond my current knowledge for my project, and thanks for all the help!

TISE = time-independent Schrödinger equation? That only works for energy eigenstates.

Poirot said:
would I have to assume c = c(x,t) and solve the differential equation for this?
Just assume ##\Psi(x,t)## (i. e. don't make an assumption) and solve that differential equation.
A Fourier transformation might help.

mfb said:
TISE = time-independent Schrödinger equation? That only works for energy eigenstates.

Just assume ##\Psi(x,t)## (i. e. don't make an assumption) and solve that differential equation.
A Fourier transformation might help.
Ah okay thank you!

Do I need to assume I have a wave packet and then use a Fourier Transform? And I can't see how the dirac delta comes into play from the differential?

Thanks again

You can always do a Fourier transformation. The evolution of the wave function is easier to describe if you have the transformed wave function.
Poirot said:
And I can't see how the dirac delta comes into play from the differential?
Well, it is there, and the equation has to be true everywhere, including x=0.

mfb said:
You can always do a Fourier transformation. The evolution of the wave function is easier to describe if you have the transformed wave function.
Well, it is there, and the equation has to be true everywhere, including x=0.
Thanks for all your help. I think I've found the wave function with x and t dependence:
\begin{eqnarray*}
\Psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ikx - \frac{i\hbar k^2t}{2m}}}{1+k^2}
\end{eqnarray*}

I found this using Fourier transform as suggested. I have tried plugging this into mathematica to solve but it seems it isn't possible and I not entirely sure how to proceed. You mentioned the dirac delta needing to come into this but I can't see how at the moment?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I apologise for the lack of latex, not sure what I've messed up here..

The Dirac delta doesn't appear any more in the equations if you go to the momentum representation (=after Fourier transformation).
The formula doesn't parse, and the integral doesn't seem to have an integration variable (k I guess?).
I don't know if it is necessary to "solve" this integral.

mfb said:
The Dirac delta doesn't appear any more in the equations if you go to the momentum representation (=after Fourier transformation).
The formula doesn't parse, and the integral doesn't seem to have an integration variable (k I guess?).
I don't know if it is necessary to "solve" this integral.
Ok thank you, and my mistake it should be integration with respect to k.

If I am trying to plot this for a 'survival probability' how would I get values out of this for the probability as a function of time?

##\langle \Psi(t) | \Psi(0) \rangle## (well, the magnitude of it) - Mathematica can at least integrate it numerically, but there might be an analytic solution.

What is meant by "Survival Probability of a free particle in time"?

The survival probability of a free particle in time refers to the likelihood that a particle in a quantum system will remain in a specific state over a given period of time. It is a measure of how likely it is for a particle to still be in its initial state after a certain amount of time has passed.

How is the survival probability of a free particle in time calculated?

The survival probability is typically calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. This equation can be used to determine the probability of a particle remaining in a specific state over time.

What factors affect the survival probability of a free particle in time?

The survival probability of a free particle in time can be affected by a variety of factors, including the initial state of the particle, the potential energy of the system, and any external forces acting on the particle. Additionally, the presence of other particles in the system can also influence the survival probability.

How does the concept of superposition relate to the survival probability of a free particle in time?

The concept of superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously, is closely related to the survival probability of a free particle in time. As the particle evolves over time, its state may change and it may enter into a superposition of states, affecting the calculation of its survival probability.

Why is the survival probability of a free particle in time important in quantum mechanics?

The survival probability of a free particle in time is an important concept in quantum mechanics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. By understanding the likelihood that a particle will remain in a specific state over time, we can better understand and model the behavior of particles at the quantum level.