Surviving 16 Credit Semester: Is It Doable?

• Thread starter jfh96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary, the speaker is a sophomore computer engineering major discussing their upcoming semester, which includes 16 credits and heavy courses. They are unsure if they can handle the workload and are seeking advice on whether to take fewer credits.
jfh96
Hello
im a sophomore computer engineering major going into my second semester and I will be taking the following courses :
electric circuits 2
introduction to programming using C++
introductory physics 2
calculus 3
linear algebra
physics lab
all in all that's 16 credits but the courses seems heavy, I am not sure if its possible to handle that much and there's really no way i can take less or i will have to delay my graduation. So what do you guys think ? Is it doable or should I take less credits ? Also what advice can you give me to survive such a semester ?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jfh96 said:
all in all that's 16 credits but the courses seems heavy...
[moving to academic guidance]
I'm pretty sure I only had one semester that light. Average for an engineer is around 18-20, in 6 courses.

Now, how much work that really is will depend on the courses. You have several that are only two credits, but in mechanical engineering a 2 credit course is a lab course with a lot of non-class hours writing lab reports. If your two credit courses require a lot of non-class time writing programs (for example), it could be a very heavy load.

1. How many classes should I take in a 16 credit semester?

The number of classes you should take in a 16 credit semester depends on various factors such as your academic abilities, time management skills, and personal commitments. It is generally recommended to take 4-5 classes in a 16 credit semester, but you should consult with your academic advisor for personalized recommendations.

2. What is the workload like in a 16 credit semester?

The workload in a 16 credit semester can vary depending on the classes you are taking. However, you can expect to have a heavier workload compared to a 12 or 15 credit semester. It is important to plan your time effectively and prioritize your tasks to successfully manage the workload.

3. How do I balance my coursework with extracurricular activities in a 16 credit semester?

Balancing coursework with extracurricular activities can be challenging in a 16 credit semester. It is important to prioritize your tasks and make a schedule that allows you to dedicate enough time to both your academics and extracurricular activities. You may also need to make adjustments and sacrifices at times to maintain a balance.

4. Is it possible to have a job while taking 16 credits in a semester?

Yes, it is possible to have a job while taking 16 credits in a semester. However, it requires excellent time management skills and the ability to handle a heavier workload. You may need to make sacrifices and adjustments to successfully balance your job with your coursework.

5. What tips do you have for successfully surviving a 16 credit semester?

Some tips for successfully surviving a 16 credit semester include staying organized, prioritizing tasks, managing your time effectively, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and taking breaks to avoid burnout. It is also important to maintain a healthy work-life balance and not overcommit yourself. Remember to communicate with your academic advisor for support and guidance throughout the semester.