Taking 4 difficult ENGR related classes and working a part-time job?

In summary, it is recommended to allocate 3 hours of study time outside of class for each class hour for technical courses like Differential Equations, University Physics 2, Electrical Circuits, and Introduction to Engineering. It is also suggested to leave some free time in the schedule and to join a study group for support. It is possible to balance this course load with a part-time job, but it would be beneficial to have a flexible schedule to accommodate for busy weeks.
Wsosa
I am taking next semester Differential equations, University physics 2, Electrical circuits class and lab and an Introduction to engineering course at a community college and I am planning to work part time. Is it a good idea or at least doable to do those classes and take a part-time job less than 20 hours a week and fitted to my schedule or do you think I am overloading myself. what do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of the answer would depend on your amount of time available to dedicate to studying. If you're not raising a family, for example.
A rule of thumb for technical courses such as these: allocate 3 hours study time outside of class for each class hour. So for a 3 credit hour class, allocate 9 hours per week for outside class study.
You may find that you need less than this. But I would rather find that I end up with some extra free time than being overloaded.
But definitely allocate some time for free time, so you don't get burned out.

Another thing that should help - get into a study group. You can help each other work through problems and concepts.

scottdave said:
A rule of thumb for technical courses such as these: allocate 3 hours study time outside of class for each class hour. So for a 3 credit hour class, allocate 9 hours per week for outside class study.

Great advice here.

That's not an unreasonable course load. Don't let it psych you out.

If you haven't tackled that kind of course load before though, one thing to consider is a part-time job that's somewhat flexible in terms of scheduling. If you get busy during a specific week it's nice to be able to drop a shift if necessary and then pick up an extra one when time allows.

Likes scottdave

1. How do you manage your time effectively while taking 4 difficult ENGR related classes and working a part-time job?

Time management is crucial in this situation. I make sure to prioritize my tasks and create a schedule that allows me to balance my coursework and job responsibilities. I also try to eliminate any distractions and focus on one task at a time.

2. How do you handle the stress and pressure of taking 4 difficult ENGR related classes and working a part-time job?

It can be overwhelming at times, but I make sure to take breaks and practice self-care. I also communicate with my professors and employer about my workload and any potential conflicts. Having a support system and managing my workload helps me handle the stress and pressure effectively.

3. What strategies do you use to stay organized while juggling 4 difficult ENGR related classes and a part-time job?

I use a planner to keep track of important deadlines and appointments. I also make to-do lists and prioritize tasks based on their due dates and level of difficulty. Staying organized helps me stay on top of my responsibilities and avoid any last-minute stress.

4. How do you maintain a good academic performance while working a part-time job and taking 4 difficult ENGR related classes?

It takes a lot of dedication and hard work, but I make sure to attend all my classes and actively participate in discussions. I also allocate specific study times for each class and seek help from my professors or classmates when needed. Additionally, I try to stay ahead of my coursework to avoid falling behind.

5. What advice do you have for someone who is considering taking 4 difficult ENGR related classes and working a part-time job?

It is definitely a challenging but rewarding experience. My advice would be to plan ahead and stay organized, communicate with your professors and employer, and prioritize self-care. It's also important to remember that it's okay to ask for help when needed and to not be too hard on yourself. With determination and proper time management, it is possible to succeed in both academics and work.