Swing and angular displacement

In summary, my colleagues think the answers should be 0.68 rad and not 0.17 rad. They think the answer should be 4 times the amplitude rather than 0.17 rad.
bahtiyar
hi, we are a few non-native English speaker physics teacher and we wrote some questions for an assessment book
but we can't be sure about this two similar question.
a) are they accurate for rules of English, are we use correct terms is there a necessary change?
b) are they accurate for rules of physics and are the answers accurate?
FIRST QUESTION

1. Homework Statement

A child on an playground swings through a total of 32°. If the displacement is equal on each side of the equilibrium position, what is the amplitude of this vibration?
a) 8° b)32° c)16° d)64°

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

one of my colleague says the answer should 8° I think it should be 16°
second

SECOND QUESTION

Homework Statement

the amplitude of a simple pendulum is 0.17 rad. what is the angular displacement of this pendulum for one complete cycle?
a)0.17 rad b)0.34 rad c) 0.51 rad d)0.68 rad

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

my colleague says the answer should 0.68 rad. I think it should be zero rad.

Physics news on Phys.org
The English is ok. Might be better to say "after one complete cycle". Your answers are correct 16 and 0.

The distance is 0.64 rads, the displacement is 0 rads.

Likes bahtiyar
my colleague says there is no such a term as angular distance, so "angular displacement for one complete cycle" corresponds 4 times amplitude.
Do you have any reference, a link or textbook that use these terms?

bahtiyar said:
A child on an playground swings through a total of 32°.
This is ambiguous. It might be counting multiple traverses of the same arc. Depending on what is intended, could clarify by specifying "in a single direction" or "in one complete cycle"...
bahtiyar said:
the displacement is equal
Which displacements? The maximum displacements from equilibrium or the initial and final displacements?
bahtiyar said:
angular displacement for one complete cycle" corresponds 4 times amplitude.
Certainly not.
"Displacement" always means net change, regardless of path taken. If your colleague does not like "angular distance" then some other term must be found which makes the meaning clear.

Likes bahtiyar
bahtiyar said:
my colleague says there is no such a term as angular distance..

Normally we just use "angle" rather than angular distance. Angle can be greater than 2pi.

Likes bahtiyar
CWatters said:
Normally we just use "angle" rather than angular distance. Angle can be greater than 2pi.
Yes, but in regard to wording a question for students I feel that in itself would not be clear enough.

Likes bahtiyar
thank you guys for making it clear what are your suggestions and answers

1. What is swing and angular displacement?

Swing and angular displacement refer to the motion of an object or system around a fixed point, where the distance from the fixed point and the angle of rotation are constantly changing.

2. How is swing different from linear displacement?

Swing involves circular motion around a fixed point, while linear displacement refers to straight-line motion. In swing, the displacement is measured in terms of the angle of rotation, while in linear displacement, it is measured in terms of distance.

3. What factors affect the swing and angular displacement of an object?

The swing and angular displacement of an object are affected by the object's mass, the force applied to it, and the distance from the fixed point. The shape and length of the object can also impact the swing and displacement.

4. How is angular displacement measured?

Angular displacement is measured in radians, which is a unit of measurement for angles. One radian is equal to the angle subtended by an arc of a circle with the same length as the radius of the circle.

5. Can swing and angular displacement be converted to linear displacement?

Yes, the swing and angular displacement of an object can be converted to linear displacement by using trigonometric functions. The length of the arc of the circle (swing) can be calculated using the radius and the angle of rotation, and this can then be converted to linear displacement using the formula s = rθ, where s is the linear displacement, r is the radius, and θ is the angle of rotation.