Switch Types for Vehicle: 5 Pin & 2 Pin

In summary, if you have two wires on which the mentioned switch is to be applied, then you can use a 5 pin switch on that wire.
AM1990
Hi,

I have two sort of switch one is 5 pin (push type) switch and the other is 2 pin (on/off) type switch for my vehicle.
Can I use first one instead of On/Off switch. In continuation, If I have two wires on which any of mentioned switch is to be applied, then How can I use 5 pin switch on that wire..?

Also what is the function of 5 pins at connector side of switches..?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the switch ratings (V & A) are suitable, then yes. There must be two pins out of the 5 that perform simple on/off.

I would guess the 5 pin is a changeover switch.
Something like A-1, B-2, changing to A-2, B-3, so that with 1and 3 joined you get either A-1&3, B-2 or A-2 , B-1&3.
There could be other possibilities, but there will always be a pair that you can use for on/off.
Switch5pin.png

Last edited:
AM1990 said:
Can I use first one instead of On/Off switch. In continuation, If I have two wires on which any of mentioned switch is to be applied, then How can I use 5 pin switch on that wire..?

depends on what you want to achieve ?

AM1990 said:
Also what is the function of 5 pins at connector side of switches..?

who knows ?, you have given us no info on the switch ... make, model, a photo ? etcDave

The first thing that comes to mind when talking about a 5 pin automotive switch is a power window or power lock switch.

Updating my diagram with a centre off position, in light of Av.sup.nov's post.
Switch5pin.png

Oh. Fair enough. I don't know a lot about car wiring principles, though I'd have guessed the reverse - that motors, lights, etc were always connected to ground and the live was routed through switches.
I'd thought originally about a reversing switch in general and only realized the need for a centre off position when you mentioned the window. All I knew was that my switches are 3 position sprung rockers biased to centre off. I've no idea if they are 5 pin nor what their connections are. In fact I think they are simply sending logic signals to the control unit which switches the windows with some sort of H drive. Pressing 'up' can both start and stop upward motion for example. I wouldn't even be surprised these days, if the switching is done by a chip on the motor responding to a CAN bus message.

In order for us to tell you how to connect the 5 pin switch to do the same function as the 2 pin switch, we need to know the internal wiring/contact connections inside the 5 pin switch, and the ratings of the switches and what voltage/current you are switching.

There are many different types of 5 contact switches, and many ways for them the be wired internally. There is no standard way. It could even be a switch with an indicator light on two of the connections. There is no way for us to tell.

Maybe a photo will help. Are there any part numbers on the switch?

Thanks for your replies.

I have done with a physical experiment. and that switch was actually for fog lamp, having 2 lights within switch (one to be light up as parking lights are on and the other when switch is turned on). you may check the picture for sample
I have found a solution that I have grounded three wires and for the rest of two, one is connected to power supply (coming from battery) and second with power coming from Parking (or might be parking relay output). I haven't applied it on vehicle but just check it using battery and it works for me.. you may check the second picture.

images.jpg
IMG_20151209_180323_731.jpg

1. What are the differences between 5 pin and 2 pin switches for vehicles?

The main difference between 5 pin and 2 pin switches for vehicles is the number of pins they have. 5 pin switches have five pins, while 2 pin switches have only two. This affects their functionality and the type of circuit they can control.

2. Which one is better for my vehicle, a 5 pin or 2 pin switch?

This depends on the specific needs of your vehicle. 5 pin switches are more versatile and can control more complex circuits, making them suitable for vehicles with more advanced electrical systems. 2 pin switches are simpler and better suited for basic circuits in smaller vehicles.

3. Can I use a 5 pin switch in place of a 2 pin switch?

It is not recommended to use a 5 pin switch in place of a 2 pin switch, as they have different wiring and functionality. The 5 pin switch may not work properly with a circuit designed for a 2 pin switch, and it could potentially cause damage to your vehicle's electrical system.

4. How do I know if my vehicle needs a 5 pin or 2 pin switch?

You can determine the type of switch your vehicle needs by looking at the circuit it will control. If the circuit is simple and requires only on/off functionality, a 2 pin switch will suffice. If the circuit is more complex and requires additional features such as multiple on/off positions, a 5 pin switch would be necessary.

5. Can I install a 5 pin or 2 pin switch myself?

It is possible to install a 5 pin or 2 pin switch yourself if you have the necessary knowledge and tools. However, if you are not experienced with vehicle wiring, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional to ensure proper installation and avoid any potential hazards.