Switchable Porosity: Can Microporous Materials Be Controlled?

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of switching the porosity of microporous materials through external stimuli, such as optical, pressure, or electrical means. The speaker is looking for literature on materials with adjustable characteristics, particularly in terms of pore size, and someone suggests checking out metal organic frameworks. However, the speaker's preliminary search did not yield much information.
svrphy
Is it possible to switch the porosity of any microporous material by external stimuli (eg. optical, pressure or electrical ). I'm trying to imagine something akin to an "Artificial Stomata" where the pore opening & closing Can be externally controlled.

I'd be very thankful if someone could point me to the relevant literature.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You must check metal organic frameworks. They are highly famous with their adjustable characteristics(pore size, surface area etc) since they are structurally engineered materials. There may some types, that changes their pore size with an external stimuli.

yes I did. But preliminary search doesn't seem to reveal much. Anything particular shall be very appreciated :)

svrphy said:
yes I did. But preliminary search doesn't seem to reveal much. Anything particular shall be very appreciated :)

this might be related.

1. What is switchable porosity?

Switchable porosity refers to the ability of microporous materials to change their pore size and shape in response to external stimuli, such as temperature, pressure, or chemical reactions. This allows for the control of the material's permeability and adsorption properties.

2. What are microporous materials?

Microporous materials are solid substances with a high surface area and a network of pores on the nanometer scale. These pores can be used to trap and store molecules, making them useful in applications such as gas separation, catalysis, and drug delivery.

3. How can microporous materials be controlled?

Microporous materials can be controlled through various methods, including the use of external stimuli like temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions. Other techniques include adjusting the composition and structure of the material, as well as incorporating guest molecules that can interact with the pores.

4. What are the potential applications of switchable porosity?

Switchable porosity has a wide range of potential applications, including gas separation, chemical sensing, controlled drug release, and water purification. It also has potential uses in energy storage and conversion, such as in batteries and fuel cells.

5. What are the challenges in developing switchable porosity?

Developing switchable porosity in microporous materials presents several challenges, including finding suitable external stimuli that can induce reversible changes in pore size and shape, as well as achieving precise control over the material's properties. Additionally, the stability and scalability of these materials must be carefully considered for practical applications.