Materials Science vs. Physics for Grad School

In summary, Materials Science and Physics for Grad School have a main difference in their focus of study. Materials Science combines aspects of physics, chemistry, and engineering to develop new materials, while Physics focuses on fundamental laws and principles. Graduates of Materials Science programs can work in industries like aerospace and electronics, while Physics graduates have a wider range of career options. Both fields have a high demand for research and funding, with Materials Science having a slight edge due to its applications in industries. There are overlapping courses between the two programs at the undergraduate level, but they become more specialized at the graduate level. Students with a background in Materials Science can pursue a graduate degree in Physics and vice versa, but may need to take additional courses and consult with an advisor
84Runner
Materials Science vs. Physics for Grad School

Hello, I'm a new poster here, but have gotten a lot of great stuff out of this forum in the past...

Some questions/thoughts on a Mechanical Engineer pursuing a graduate degree in Materials Science (or Physics...)

I'm interested in optics, specifically electrically/optically active materials as well as semiconductor devices. I want to pursue a graduate degree in order to take my career back in the path of R&D in these fields. I typically interview very well and have probably more "real-world" practical experience than your typical applicant straight out of an undergraduate program, but less in the way of formal academic research experience.

My background:

BS in Mechanical Engineering (University of Delaware, 2008), Magna Cum Laude, 3.86 GPA, Mathematics Minor (extra coursework in PDEs, Linear Algebra)

2008-2010 - 2 years as a Process Engineer in the R&D Dept. at a small private thin-film a-Si startup company (lots of film optimization and processing)

2011 - short stint (~6 months) at a development company spent working on concentrating optics for a solar "dish" style collector project (I left because the company laid everyone off)

2012 - another short stint (~6 months) at an automated welding equipment manufacturer as a mechanical design engineer (This company also went under... I had some bad luck for a while!)

2012-present - Mechanical Design / Project Engineer for a large multinational company, mostly involved with a large government contract through the US Navy (large industrial marine equipment)

I really enjoyed the research I did at the first company right after school, and have recently had to move into more of a "cubicle engineer" position due to some poor luck working for smaller companies which went out of business.

Recs: I know I can at least one, probably two, very good recommendations from PhDs I worked directly with at my first company, as one of these gave me the initial prodding into pursuing graduate school. The third recommendation would most likely be from one of my engineering managers who I worked with in the past few years (also a solid recommendation, but from someone without an academic background).

GRE: I have been studying for the Physics GRE Test to bolster my application as I know my engineering background leaves me with some gaps in what a typical Physics undergraduate student would have formal education in (notably quantum mechanics and Lagrangian & Hamiltonian formalism). I'll take the GRE Subject Test in April, but I expect to do decently well (I've scored in the low- to mid-800's on the available practice tests available under test-type conditions)

I would be interested in pursuing a PhD, but don't know if I would be better off starting in a MS program to "prove myself" or be eventually admitted into a more competitive PhD program. I'd like my research to focus on semiconductors, optics, and electrically active materials. Right now I'm leaning towards applying to several MS programs in Materials Science, and then finding research in the areas of my interest.

Obviously I'd like to apply to the most competitive programs I think I could realistically get into, but at this point, realistically I'm looking at programs that are not the top of the list. Anyone who can give me a better idea of exactly what I should expect would be great.

Is this a good plan? I lean away from a Physics program because I doubt I'd be competitive with those with a stronger Physics undergraduate background.

Is my Mechanical Engineering degree and industry experience way out of line with typical incoming Materials Science graduate students?

Should I apply directly to PhD programs instead? I'm thinking I'd have a better shot at getting into a MS program because I'll be paying for it rather than asking for departmental funding, but if my chances of being admitted directly into a PhD program are better than I think, maybe I should just go for that...

Is there anything else I can do at this point to make myself a better candidate?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

As a scientist with experience in both materials science and physics, I would say that both fields have their own strengths and areas of focus. Materials science is more focused on the properties and applications of different materials, while physics is more focused on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

Based on your background and interests, it seems like materials science would be a better fit for you. With your mechanical engineering degree and experience in industry, you would bring a unique perspective to the field of materials science. Your experience with thin-film technology and optics would also be highly valuable in this field.

In terms of which degree to pursue, it ultimately depends on your long-term goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in research and development, a PhD would be a good option. However, if you are more interested in working in industry, a master's degree may be more practical.

In terms of your chances of being admitted to a top program, your GPA and industry experience are certainly impressive. However, it may be beneficial for you to take some additional coursework in physics or materials science to strengthen your background in those areas. You may also want to reach out to professors or researchers in your area of interest to see if there are any opportunities for you to gain some research experience before applying to graduate programs.

Overall, it seems like you have a solid plan in place and are taking the necessary steps to make yourself a competitive candidate. Best of luck in your graduate school journey!

1. What is the main difference between Materials Science and Physics for Grad School?

The main difference between Materials Science and Physics for Grad School is the focus of study. Materials Science is a multidisciplinary field that combines aspects of physics, chemistry, and engineering to understand and develop new materials. Physics, on the other hand, is a more specialized field that focuses on the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates of Materials Science vs. Physics programs?

Graduates of Materials Science programs can pursue careers in industries such as aerospace, electronics, and biomedical engineering, where the development of new materials is critical. Physics graduates, on the other hand, have a wider range of career options, including research and teaching positions in academia, as well as roles in industries such as healthcare, finance, and technology.

3. Which field has a higher demand for research and funding?

Both Materials Science and Physics are highly research-intensive fields with a high demand for funding. However, Materials Science may have a slight edge in terms of funding opportunities due to its applications in various industries and the growing demand for advanced materials.

4. Are there any overlapping courses between Materials Science and Physics programs?

Yes, there are some overlapping courses between Materials Science and Physics programs, especially at the undergraduate level. These may include courses in thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and solid state physics. However, as students progress to graduate studies, the courses become more specialized and tailored to each field.

5. Can a student with a background in Materials Science pursue a graduate degree in Physics, and vice versa?

Yes, it is possible for students with a background in Materials Science to pursue a graduate degree in Physics, and vice versa. However, they may need to take additional courses to bridge any knowledge gaps and meet the prerequisites for their desired program. It is also important to consult with an advisor to ensure a smooth transition and to make the most out of their graduate studies.