Switching from Finance to Mathematics

In summary, the person is a 24-year-old chartered accountant from India who does not have an undergraduate degree but is interested in becoming a mathematician. However, most degree programs in mathematics require science courses in high school, which the person did not take. They are wondering if there is any way for them to enter the field of mathematics, and the expert suggests looking into foundation courses offered by British universities. These courses provide an opportunity for individuals with inadequate qualifications to gain the necessary knowledge and access to university resources. They can also pursue other options such as taking A-levels or Open University courses. The expert also notes that completion of a foundation course can give the person equal status with a standard entry student, and individuals with prior industrial experience
Arongil
I am a 24 Year Old Chartered Accountant (Indian). I used a peculiar direct entry scheme for the qualification, which essentially means I do not have an undergraduate degree. The last time I learned any sort of intensive math was in 12th Grade (Commerce + Math).

However, I am interested in becoming a mathematician, and have been teaching myself for some time now, although I would much rather get some formal training. Unfortunately for me, every Degree in Mathematics requires me to have studied Science in 12th Grade.

At this point I am at something of an impasse. On the one hand, I am fond of mathematics and am more than willing to teach it to myself till I'm 70. On the other hand I know that to enter a career in Mathematics I will need formal education which seems beyond my reach.

Is there anyway I can break into this field from where I am? I am more than willing to take any exams it might take to prove my knowledge. Is there any respectable university anywhere that will accept a student like me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some British Universities offer Foundation Courses . These are provided for people that have unsuitable or inadequate qualifications for normal direct entry to degree courses . These courses take one academic year and acceptance is usually based on a written submission , interviews and sometimes letters of recommendation .

Many subjects are covered but most common use is in science and engineering where courses bring candidates up to roughly A level standard in Maths and Physics . Other subjects related to the specific degree course being aimed at are also usually included .

Likes Arongil
The Foundation Courses are good because they put the candidate in the University teaching system immediately and give access to all the normal student resources .

There are other ways of proceeding though - study for enough A levels at a local college or build up enough credits with OU courses .

Likes Arongil
Nidum said:
The Foundation Courses are good because they put the candidate in the University teaching system immediately and give access to all the normal student resources .

There are other ways of proceeding though - study for enough A levels at a local college or build up enough credits with OU courses .

Thank you for the reply,

Can someone with a foundation course compete on the same level as someone who has been through the traditional route when it comes to Undergraduate Admissions? Is the admission for Foundation Courses themselves extremely competitive?

Is this a practical route? As much as I love to take risks, I am not a particularly rich man. Going by what I could find on Google, a typical foundation course costs around GBP 8,000 and the typical Undergraduate program costs as much as GBP 27,000

Yes - completion of a foundation course gives you at least equal status with a standard entry student .

I have no personal experience of Maths courses but candidates for engineering subjects with prior industrial experience plus successful completion off a Foundation Course often do extremely well in later studies .

Likes Arongil

1. What are the main differences between finance and mathematics?

The main difference between finance and mathematics is that finance is a field of study that focuses on the management of money and financial instruments, while mathematics is a discipline that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes using logical and precise reasoning. In finance, the main goal is to maximize profits and minimize risks, while in mathematics, the main goal is to solve problems using mathematical concepts and techniques.

2. Can someone with a finance background switch to a career in mathematics?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a finance background to switch to a career in mathematics. While a strong foundation in math is helpful, it is not always necessary. Many skills and concepts learned in finance, such as data analysis, statistics, and financial modeling, are also applicable in mathematics. Additionally, there are many resources available, such as online courses and workshops, to help individuals transition to a career in mathematics.

3. What skills are transferable from finance to mathematics?

Some skills that are transferable from finance to mathematics include strong analytical skills, critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and financial modeling. These skills are essential in both fields and can be applied to various mathematical concepts and techniques.

4. What are some job opportunities for someone with a background in finance and mathematics?

There are many job opportunities available for someone with a background in both finance and mathematics. Some potential careers include financial analyst, data analyst, risk analyst, investment analyst, financial planner, and actuary. These roles require a combination of financial and mathematical skills, making them a perfect fit for someone with a background in both fields.

5. How can switching from finance to mathematics benefit my career?

Switching from finance to mathematics can benefit your career in several ways. It can open up new job opportunities in various industries, such as finance, technology, and consulting. It can also enhance your analytical and problem-solving skills, making you a valuable asset to employers. Additionally, a career in mathematics can offer a high earning potential and opportunities for advancement and specialization.