Symmetric bowl associated with a line element

In summary, the problem is to find a radial profile ##z(r)## for a bowl with axial symmetry in flat Euclidean space that has the same intrinsic geometry as the given line element. This can be achieved by starting with the 3D metric in cylindrical coordinates and substituting ##z(r)## for z, leading to a differential equation for z(r) in terms of r and the constant ##r_+##.
Confused Physicist
Hi! I have the following problem I don't really know where to start from:

A bowl with axial symmetry is built in flat Euclidean space ##R^3##, and has a radial profile giveb by ##z(r)##, where ##z## is the axis of symmetry and ##r## is the radial distance from the axis. What radial profile ##z(r)## is required for the bowl to have the same intrinsic geometry as the following line element:

[tex]ds^2=\Bigg(1-\frac{r^2_+}{r^2}\Bigg)^{-1}dr^2+r^2d\phi^2[/tex]

---- MY IDEA -----

The intrinsic geometry of this line element is described by:

[tex]g_{11}=\Bigg(1-\frac{r^2_+}{r^2}\Bigg)^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]g_{22}=r^2[/tex]

But how can I describe the intrinsic geometry of ##z(r)## to equal it to the latter?

Thank you so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Confused Physicist said:
What radial profile z(r) is required for the bowl to have the same intrinsic geometry as the following line element:
Intrinsic geometry is a property of a manifold, like the bowl, not of a line element. So I am unable to understand that statement. What is the manifold (presumably 2D, ie a surface, not a line or line element) whose intrinsic geometry they are saying is the same as that of the bowl?

Also, in what coordinates is the formula for the line element written, and what is ##r_+##? I would guess it is Polar, but in that case ##r_+## is identical to ##r## and the formula is everywhere undefined.

Confused Physicist said:
Hi! I have the following problem I don't really know where to start from:

A bowl with axial symmetry is built in flat Euclidean space ##R^3##, and has a radial profile giveb by ##z(r)##, where ##z## is the axis of symmetry and ##r## is the radial distance from the axis. What radial profile ##z(r)## is required for the bowl to have the same intrinsic geometry as the following line element:

[tex]ds^2=\Bigg(1-\frac{r^2_+}{r^2}\Bigg)^{-1}dr^2+r^2d\phi^2[/tex]

---- MY IDEA -----

The intrinsic geometry of this line element is described by:

[tex]g_{11}=\Bigg(1-\frac{r^2_+}{r^2}\Bigg)^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]g_{22}=r^2[/tex]

But how can I describe the intrinsic geometry of ##z(r)## to equal it to the latter?

Thank you so much for your help!

You have to start with the metric in 3D in cylindrical coordinates (in terms therefore of ##r,\phi,z##). Now, substitute for z the function z(r) (and of course substitute also this function in dz). We must now impose that the resulting metric in terms of z(r), its derivative and ##r## and ##\phi## reproduces the metric that you wrote. That will give you a differential equation for z(r) in terms of r and the constant ##r_+##.

1. What is a symmetric bowl associated with a line element?

A symmetric bowl associated with a line element is a mathematical concept that describes a curved surface that is symmetrical along a line. This line is referred to as the axis of symmetry and the surface is typically bowl-shaped, hence the name.

2. How is a symmetric bowl associated with a line element used in science?

A symmetric bowl associated with a line element is often used in physics and engineering to model and analyze various systems, such as electric and magnetic fields, gravitational fields, and fluid flow. It is also used in geometry and calculus to understand and solve complex problems.

3. What are the key properties of a symmetric bowl associated with a line element?

The key properties of a symmetric bowl associated with a line element include its axis of symmetry, circular cross-sections, and reflection symmetry. It also has a constant curvature along the axis of symmetry and its shape is described by a parabolic function.

4. Can a symmetric bowl associated with a line element have multiple axes of symmetry?

No, a symmetric bowl associated with a line element can only have one axis of symmetry. This is because having multiple axes of symmetry would result in a different shape, such as a cone or a cylinder, which do not have the same properties as a symmetric bowl.

5. How is a symmetric bowl associated with a line element different from a symmetric bowl associated with a point?

A symmetric bowl associated with a line element has an axis of symmetry, while a symmetric bowl associated with a point has a point of symmetry. Additionally, a symmetric bowl associated with a line element has circular cross-sections, while a symmetric bowl associated with a point has spherical cross-sections. The two are also described by different mathematical functions and have different applications in science and mathematics.