Understanding the Parameters of Synchronous Motors

In summary, the rated power, rated torque, rated speed, and rated voltage are the maximum values that the motor can deliver. The motor should not be operated beyond these parameters.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
I want to understand the parameters of the synchronous motors.
I want to understand the parameters of the synchronous motor

Rated Power -> This is the maximum power the motor can deliver -> Is it correct? I can operate the motor for any power less than this?

Rated Torque -> This is the maximum torque beyond which the motor cannot produce?

Rated speed -> This is the maximum speed the motor can run upto?

Rated Voltage -> This is the voltage at which the motor can run?

Rated Current -> The motor should not be operated beyond this current? Can i derive this if i know the rated voltage and rated power?

Is the understanding of the above parameters correct? If i assume that the motor is driven by an inverter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most ratingsare as you say, the maximum.

PhysicsTest said:
Summary:: I want to understand the parameters of the synchronous motors.

Rated speed -> This is the maximum speed the motor can run upto?
Synchronous machines run at synchronous speed. You can't vary the speed.
PhysicsTest said:
Summary:: I want to understand the parameters of the synchronous motors.

Rated Current -> The motor should not be operated beyond this current? Can i derive this if i know the rated voltage and rated power?
Only is reactive power is zero. Otherwise, you need voltage and volt amps.

Do you understand reactive (imaginary) power?

Likes PhysicsTest
I keep forgetting variable frequency AC supplies. If you have one of those, you can vary the speed, and rated speed is maximum speed.

Likes PhysicsTest
IMO - "rated" typically implies continuous duty. Maximums could be something completely different.

In EVs for example - the operation will take the motor to Zero Speed (RPM) and still have some significant torque. Short term this can be the rated torque, but this may not be continuous rated torque ay zero speed due to localized heating.

Also in specific applications or specific manufacturers have a nominal rating or operating point that they use to help their nomenclature as well.

Likes cnh1995 and PhysicsTest
Windadct said:
IMO - "rated" typically implies continuous duty. Maximums could be something completely different.
Those words are not an exact science. Yes you can exceed rated parameters for short times. Often, thermal effects dominate. But a beginner can start with the basic definition and let nuances come later.

Sometimes, manufacturers provide both numbers. Aircraft have a design cruising speed (rated) and a ##V_{NE}## Never Exceed speed. Above ##V_{NE}##, the wings may break off.

Likes PhysicsTest
I was referring explicitly to the OP's query regarding Sync Motors- even in an EV the EV's spec will tend to be the MAX power, but that will be limited by the controller, not the physical limits of the device.

Likes PhysicsTest
anorlunda said:
Only is reactive power is zero. Otherwise, you need voltage and volt amps.
Do you understand reactive (imaginary) power?
Yes i understand it, the reactive power which cannot be used to do useful work, it is stored in inductor and capacitor and then released. But i have seen most manufacturers using KW instead of KVA, then i am not sure how to find the total current to be supplied.
I am still confused with the discussion of the rated parameters. Is there a standard followed or document i can refer to?
Meanwhile i tried to decode the motor parameters from the following link volcano motors

Variable speed AC motors

1612614297611.png

From the above table i understand the O/p power is = 0.75KW. There is no mention of KVA, why? How do i calculate? Is it KVA = 16*43 KVA = 688KVA
I/p power = V*I * Power factor = 16*43 * 0.79 = 543 W = 0.543 KW. I observe the input power is less than the output power of 0.75KW, why?
The other calculation of o/p power is = Torque * Speed (rad/s) = 2.75 * 2600*2 * PI/60 = 748W = 0.748KW. This is matching.
Efficiency = Output / Input , the output is greater than the input, the efficiency is greater than 100%, how is it possible? What is the mistake.

PhysicsTest said:
There is no mention of KVA, why?
Power factor is another way to express the same thing, avoiding the need to deal with KVA or VARs.

Good for you for spotting an erroneous >1 efficiency. We either have a misinterpretation, or an error.

My guess is an error by whoever made that nameplate. They might have started with V and P and multiplied by .79 to calculate A where they should have divided. If so, then the amp draw could be 59 A rather than 43. 16*59 * 0.79 = 746.

anorlunda said:
My guess is an error by whoever made that nameplate. They might have started with V and P and multiplied by .79 to calculate A where they should have divided. If so, then the amp draw could be 59 A rather than 43. 16*59 * 0.79 = 746.
The output power is correct using the formula P = Torque * Speed = ##2.75 * 2600*2 * \pi/60 = 748W = 0.748KW.## The efficiency as per the table is 79.8. Hence the input power should be
efficiency= ##748*100/\text{Input power} = 79.8 ##
Input power = ##748*100/79.8 = 937.3 KW##. If i assume the current calculation is wrong then the current is
##V*I*\cos\theta = 937.3 ##
##I = \frac{937.3} {16*0.79} = 74.15 A##

I verified another table in the same link Volcano motors for the permanent magnet brushless motor
1612624229772.png

I/p power = 24*44.6 = 1070.4 KW
O/p Power = 2600*3.31*2*PI/60 = 0.9KW
Efficiency = 900*100/1070 = 84% and it matches with the values specified in the table. But my major confusion is there is no power factor mentioned or KVA. Generally any motor contains the inductor and resistance, so why the information is not mentioned?

1. What is a synchronous motor?

A synchronous motor is an AC motor that operates at a constant speed determined by the frequency of the power supply. It has a stator and a rotor, where the stator contains the electromagnets and the rotor contains the permanent magnets. The magnetic field of the stator and rotor interact to create rotation, resulting in a synchronous speed.

2. What are the parameters of synchronous motors?

The parameters of synchronous motors include synchronous speed, number of poles, frequency of the power supply, and slip. Synchronous speed is the speed at which the motor rotates when the stator and rotor magnetic fields are perfectly aligned. The number of poles refers to the number of electromagnets on the stator. Frequency of the power supply determines the speed of the motor, and slip is the difference between the synchronous speed and the actual speed of the motor.

3. How do synchronous motors differ from asynchronous motors?

Synchronous motors operate at a constant speed, while asynchronous motors have a variable speed depending on the load. Synchronous motors require a power supply with a specific frequency to maintain their speed, while asynchronous motors can operate on a range of frequencies. Additionally, synchronous motors have permanent magnets on the rotor, while asynchronous motors have conductive bars or cages.

4. What are the applications of synchronous motors?

Synchronous motors are commonly used in applications that require a constant speed, such as in industrial machinery, compressors, and pumps. They are also used in power plants to generate electricity and in electric vehicles.

5. How can the parameters of synchronous motors be controlled?

The parameters of synchronous motors can be controlled by adjusting the frequency of the power supply. This can be done using a variable frequency drive (VFD) or by using a synchronous condenser to adjust the power factor of the motor. Additionally, the number of poles and the design of the rotor can also be modified to change the parameters of the motor.