Motor shaft connections and testing

In summary, you should look for a coupling that uses friction (clamp or set screw) to transfer small torques from your motor to any mechanism or test bed. You can buy these couplings from McMaster or from SDP-SI.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
I wanted to understand how to connect the motor
This is an MCLV-2 development board from microchip, with it got the Hurst motor as shown below
1605281371614.png

The problem is that the shaft is smooth i cannot connect the loads etc. So, I want to clarify the below points
a. What type of connectors i should look for and which websites will have the information?
b. If i want to test the performance of the motor i mean the torque, speed. Which tool do i need to buy?
Presently i have not decided the load to connect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I personally haven't found many motors without either a keyway or flat spot on the shaft. Any motor with just a round shaft is not likely expected to deliver very much torque.

Likes berkeman
I do not use keys on high performance servo motors that do a lot of reversing. The reason is that any slippage will eventually hammer the key loose and fret the shaft. Shaft keys work well on drives with minimal reversing torque.

Shaft connections without keys can be done with either clamp or shrink fits. This figure, from the link in Post #4, shows a coupling that uses a clamp fit:
Coupling.jpg

Clamp and shrink fit connections need to be carefully calculated. If the calculations are done correctly, and the coupling is installed correctly, they work very well.

For a small motor like the Hurst motor in the OP, a setscrew should work without problems. It's a good idea to file a flat on the motor shaft for the setscrew. That will make it easier to get the coupling off if the setscrew dimples the shaft.

• Informative
Likes DaveE, Lnewqban and berkeman

1. What are the different types of motor shaft connections?

There are three main types of motor shaft connections: keyway, set screw, and coupling. Keyway connections use a key to secure the motor shaft to the driven load. Set screw connections use screws to clamp the motor shaft to the driven load. Coupling connections use a flexible coupling to connect the motor shaft to the driven load.

2. How do I determine the correct size of motor shaft for my application?

The size of the motor shaft is determined by the torque and speed requirements of the application. It is important to consider the load, operating conditions, and safety factors when selecting the appropriate size of motor shaft. Consult with a mechanical engineer or use online calculators to determine the correct size for your specific application.

3. What is the purpose of testing motor shaft connections?

Testing motor shaft connections ensures that they are secure and able to withstand the torque and speed requirements of the application. It also helps identify any potential issues or weaknesses in the connection, allowing for adjustments or replacements to be made before the motor is put into operation.

4. How is the torque of a motor shaft connection measured?

The torque of a motor shaft connection can be measured using a torque wrench. The wrench is attached to the motor shaft and the torque is applied until the connection slips or breaks. This torque value is then compared to the recommended torque for the specific connection type and size to ensure it is within the acceptable range.

5. What are some common causes of motor shaft connection failure?

Some common causes of motor shaft connection failure include inadequate torque, improper alignment, and wear and tear over time. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain motor shaft connections to prevent failure and ensure safe and efficient operation.