System of multiple conductors: image method

In summary: Either way, you will need to use the capacitance equations for multiple conductors in parallel.In summary, the problem involves a system with two cylindrical conductors of equal radius and length, a distance d apart from each other and a distance h from a mirrored ground plane. The dielectric is air with a maximum electric field of 20 kV/cm. Using the image method and considering the approximation of thin conductors, the task is to determine the capacitance matrix of the system. This involves calculating the capacitance between each conductor and the ground plane (main diagonal of the matrix) as well as the conductance between the two conductors (C12 and C21 on the matrix). The ground plane acts as a mirror, creating a
Granger

Homework Statement

The following figure represent the traversal cut of a system with two cylindrical equal conductors of radius r0 length l at a distance d from one another and at the same distance h of a plane conductor (conductor zero). The dielectric that surrounds the conductors is the air which maximum electric field 20 kV/cm. Consider the approximation of thin conductors. By applying the image method determine the capacitance matrix of the system
qayoF.png

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

So I have no idea where to start...

I now how to apply the image method to a single cylindrical conductor and a plane which would leave us to obtain:

$$ \frac{2 \pi \epsilon_0 l}{\ln (\frac{h}{r_0} + \sqrt{(\frac{h}{r_0})^2 -1})} =\frac{2 \pi \epsilon_0 l}{\ln (\frac{2h}{r_0})} $$

Where I applied the fact that the conductor is thin in the last equality.
Now how do I relate this with the second conductor.
I read that this is the solution for the capacitance between each conductor and the ground plane (so the main diagonal of the matrix). But how is it valid that we "ignore" the second conductor when we calculate the capacitance between one conductor and the ground plane? Is it because the conductors are thin?

Now what about the conductance between conductor 1 and conductor 2 (C12 and C21 on the matrix)? How do we apply the image method? Do I need to consider 4 conductors? What is the form of the equipotentials? Are they still circumferences as in the case of a single conductor and a plane?

I am really confused... Can someone give hints about how to attack the problem?

Attachments

• qayoF.png
    qayoF.png
    5 KB · Views: 656
Physics news on Phys.org
You have not specified the relative potential of conductors 1 and 2, or the relative direction of current flow.

The ground plane is a mirror. So you have a 4 wire system, two real conductors above ground, with the inverted image of those two conductors “underground”.

You might consider expanding the problem to four wires by eliminating the ground, or by placing another mirror plane half way between the two conductors which reduces it to a one wire problem.

What is the "image method" in a system of multiple conductors?

The image method is a mathematical technique used to simplify the analysis of a system of multiple conductors. It involves creating imaginary mirror images of the conductors and taking their contributions into account in the calculation of the electric potential and fields.

How does the image method work?

The image method works by creating an imaginary mirror image of each conductor across a reflective surface, such as a plane. This creates a new system of conductors that is symmetric and can be more easily analyzed using basic principles of electrostatics.

What are the assumptions made in the image method?

The image method assumes that the conductors are perfect, meaning they have no resistance and are perfectly smooth. It also assumes that the space between the conductors is filled with a homogeneous dielectric material, and that there are no other charges or conductors present in the system.

When is the image method most useful?

The image method is most useful in cases where the conductors are arranged in a symmetrical pattern, such as a line of conductors parallel to a plane. It is also useful when the distance between the conductors is much smaller than the size of the conductors themselves.

What are some limitations of the image method?

The image method is limited by the assumptions it makes, as mentioned before. It also does not take into account the effects of induction or the finite size of conductors. Additionally, it is not suitable for analyzing systems with more complex arrangements of conductors or non-uniform dielectric materials.