System restore failed to extract the file

In summary, the person is having trouble with their system restore in Windows 8 due to an error involving an AVG file. They have tried restoring with AVG disabled and in safe mode, but the error persists. They are also using other antivirus software, which may be causing conflicts. It is suggested that they post on the Microsoft website for help and consider uninstalling the other antivirus software.
mech-eng
Hello. I created a restore point in Windows 8 but it doesn't work because of a problem.

"System restore did not completed successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

System Restore failed to extract the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Antivirus\setup\AI8477~1.VPX) from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during the system restore.(0x80070057)"

I tried many times but I always get the same error. I tried restoring with AVG disabled and in the safe mode but nothing changed. Can you determine what the problem is and how can I fix it?

Note: I have an another OEM security software, McAffee and ZoneAlarm. Even though problems seems to be about AVG, can there be some connection with McAffee or ZoneAlarm?

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don’t think we can really help you with these kinds of questions. Your best bet is to search based on the error and post on the Microsoft website to see if they can help.

"System Restore" says clearly that it cannot read or find that file. Since it is part of AVG setup I would just ignore it and deinstall + download + reinstall AVG.

By the way - having several antivirus software running at the same tine is not a good idea. My advice is to decide on one of them and deinstall the others.

1. Why did my system restore fail to extract the file?

There are several reasons why a system restore may fail to extract a file. Some common reasons include corrupted files, insufficient disk space, and conflicts with third-party software or antivirus programs.

2. Can I fix a system restore that failed to extract a file?

In some cases, it may be possible to fix a failed system restore by running it again or using a different restore point. You can also try disabling any antivirus programs or other software that may be interfering with the restore process.

3. Will a failed system restore cause any lasting damage to my computer?

In most cases, a failed system restore will not cause any permanent damage to your computer. However, if the restore was interrupted or stopped, it may result in some files or settings being partially restored.

4. How can I prevent a system restore from failing in the future?

To prevent a system restore from failing, make sure your computer has enough available disk space and that all necessary system files are intact. You can also regularly back up your important files and create restore points before making any major changes to your system.

5. Is there any way to recover files from a failed system restore?

If a system restore fails to extract a file, it may still be possible to recover the file using data recovery software. However, there is no guarantee that the file will be fully recovered and it is always best to regularly back up your important files to prevent data loss.