Systems Modeling Question (First order thermal circuit)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding a thermal circuit of a computer CPU that needs to be simplified to have two lumped capacitances and resistances. The person is unsure of how to simplify it and asks for help with the equations. The expert suggests using equivalent circuits and notes that the person's circuit is not equivalent to the simplified version. The person also mentions trying to comprehend the circuit using an electrical circuit analogy.
KingDaniel

Homework Statement

I have a problem with understanding the thermal circuit I attached to this thread. Please help. It's a Thermal circuit of a computer CPU that needs to be simplified to have just 2 lumped capacitances and resitances. How would one go about doing that? along with the equations?

IMG_0454.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
This is what they simplified it to but I don't understand it:

IMG_0455.JPG

I tried to picture it like this but I'm not sure if it's right:

IMG_0456.JPG

KingDaniel said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem with understanding the thermal circuit I attached to this thread. Please help. It's a Thermal circuit of a computer CPU that needs to be simplified to have just 2 lumped capacitances and resitances. How would one go about doing that? along with the equations?

View attachment 86866
that is as simple as you are going to get it without losing data. Why are you trying to simplify it?

If you only need the thermal profile at one location you can use equivalent circuits to simplify i guess.

@donpacino , okay, but is my circuit the same as their version of the circuit? Cause I'm trying to comprehend it in terms of an electrical circuit analogy but their drawing just looks weird...

your circuit is not equivalent. If you look, the capacitances go to ground, not across the resistances.

Related to Systems Modeling Question (First order thermal circuit)

1. What is a systems modeling question?

A systems modeling question is a type of scientific inquiry that involves creating a simplified representation of a real-world system in order to better understand its behavior and make predictions.

2. What is a first order thermal circuit?

A first order thermal circuit is a mathematical model that represents the flow of heat through a system using a single first order differential equation. It is commonly used to analyze thermal systems such as electrical circuits, building heating and cooling systems, and industrial processes.

3. How is a first order thermal circuit different from other thermal models?

A first order thermal circuit differs from other thermal models, such as second or higher order circuits, in that it only considers the first derivative of temperature with respect to time. This simplification makes it more suitable for systems that do not have complex dynamics.

4. What factors are included in a first order thermal circuit?

A first order thermal circuit includes components such as thermal resistors, capacitors, and inductors, which represent the heat transfer resistance, thermal mass, and thermal inertia of the system, respectively. It also includes a heat source or sink, which generates or absorbs heat within the system.

5. How is a first order thermal circuit useful in real-world applications?

A first order thermal circuit can be used to analyze and optimize the performance of thermal systems, such as building HVAC systems, by predicting the temperature response to changes in environmental conditions or system parameters. It can also be used to design and control thermal processes in industries such as manufacturing and energy production.