Take Partial Differential Equations? Senior

In summary, the Textbook by Asmar is a great resource for physics majors looking to build a strong foundation in PDEs. It may also be useful for upper-level courses in E&M and Quantum, providing useful tips and tricks for solving PDEs. Some argue that learning the math "on the job" is more effective, but having a formal foundation in PDEs can be indispensable for physics majors.
Lagraaaange
Textbook by Asmar. Would this class help me a lot for grad courses, like Jackson Electrodynamics or Sakurai Quantum? Debating to just finish up my upper levels and get As

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably not if you've had good undergrad qm and e&m.

I have taken a course out of this book (in fact, Asmar is a professor at my school, though interestingly enough he did not teach the course...). It is a great book, and I would say even if you do not take the course, definitely buy the book! It is a great reference and is fairly cheap if you get the paperback version. This was by far my favorite and most useful math course as a physics major. However, I took the class as a first semester Junior and it helped me immensely with upper-level E&M and Quantum. I think having the formal foundation for PDE's is pretty indispensable for any physics major. You will learn a lot of tips and tricks for solving PDE's using this book. A lot of it you may have seen before, but I don't recall ever solving the heat equation using a Fourier Transform, even in thermo. Also, this is where I first learned to solve PDE's using eigenfunction expansions.

In other words, I think it is useful.

I find learning the math "on the job" helps me retain the information much better. I'm opting to skip a PDE class since I feel I'll learn everything I need in my upper levels. What do you guys think?

Some would argue the other way around: if you have become familiar with the tools, there is more room to learn grasp the physics involved

Lagraaaange said:
I find learning the math "on the job" helps me retain the information much better.

Really? In this thread, you don';t want to take it because you are afraid you won't get an A in it. And in this thread, you worry about a low score on a standardized math test. These are not the writings of someone who is so good at math that they can pick it all up without wasting time on classes which are beneath him.

Moderators note. Two very similar threads have been merged.

Thanks Dale; provides a context for the postings.
Looked at the book and wholeheartedly agree with @jbrussel93 : this isn't so much math math as it is math phys: more or less the "on the job" idea Lagraaa mentions. Pretty much essential material for a physicist, well worth investing in.
But of course this is my opinion.

[[Moderators note, and another similar thread merged]]

They're at the same time (PDE and vector calculus), can only choose one. Which is more useful for grad school?

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it hard to believe that anyone would even have the option of taking PDEs without having taken vector calculus. There's a drastic difference in difficulty between the two. Did you cover any vector calculus in your calculus sequence?

Calc 3 is partial derivatives, lagrange multipliers, triple integrals, etc. This course is Gauss and Stokes theorem, Differential Forms, etc

I see. When I took calculus 3 it covered the fundamental theorems of vector calculus. Different schools structure it differently though.

Related to Take Partial Differential Equations? Senior

1. What is the purpose of studying Partial Differential Equations (PDEs) as a senior?

PDEs are essential for understanding and modeling many phenomena in science and engineering, including heat and mass transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. As a senior, studying PDEs can help you develop advanced problem-solving skills and prepare you for graduate studies or a career in fields such as physics, mathematics, or engineering.

2. What are the key topics covered in a senior level PDE course?

A senior level PDE course typically covers topics such as classification of PDEs, analytical and numerical methods for solving PDEs, boundary value problems, and applications to various fields of science and engineering. It may also include more advanced topics such as nonlinear PDEs and stochastic PDEs.

3. How is studying PDEs different from studying ordinary differential equations (ODEs)?

PDEs involve functions of more than one independent variable, while ODEs involve functions of only one independent variable. This makes the study of PDEs more complex and requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques. PDEs also have a wider range of applications compared to ODEs.

4. What are the main challenges in solving PDEs?

The main challenges in solving PDEs include the complexity of the equations, the need for boundary and initial conditions, and the presence of multiple solutions or no solutions at all. In addition, numerical methods for solving PDEs can be computationally intensive and require careful consideration of stability and accuracy.

5. How can studying PDEs benefit my future career?

Studying PDEs can benefit your future career in many ways. It can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many industries. It can also open up opportunities for research and development positions in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. Additionally, knowledge of PDEs is essential for understanding and contributing to cutting-edge technologies and scientific advancements.