Taking both Classical Physics and Quantum Physics at the Same Time.

In summary: I have not taken either of those courses yet, but from what I have heard the material is quite similar.Classical mechanics may be more rigorous, but I think that both courses are quite rigorous. It all depends on your comfort level with math and physics.I would advise you to take the two courses at the same time, but to approach them differently. Classical Mechanics should be your "bread and butter" course, and you should approach Quantum Mechanics as a "treat yo'self" course.
CrosisBH
Hello! I'll be entering my second semester of my junior year of my Physics Degree. My uni doesn't have a bad physics program, but it's really small so I have to take my upper level classes as soon as they're offered or I won't take them for another 2 years or so. They are on a cycle so I will be taking everything in 4 years. This leads me to this semester. They kind of "reset the clock" on Classical Physics, and it turns out that Classical and Quantum Physics are offered this semester (along with Computational). Naturally I had to enroll in both of them if I want to graduate on time. I'm wondering if anyone here has done this and has any advice for how to handle this semester.

I have all my background math, Calc 1-3, Diff EQ, and Linear Algebra.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What did your advisor say when you asked him/her about this?

Zz.

They simply said "You're going to have to do this if you want to graduate in 2021" They're the one that suggested I do it.

First, it's clear that university is aware of things and thus can react accordingly. Secondly, it is far from clear what "Classical Physics" means. You will have a hard time finding people in a similar boat if you don't describe the boat.

Do you know what the textbooks are? That would help people here judge the level of the two courses.

Likes gmax137
Sorry I confused myself when making this thread. I was tired. I should also specify the level of the course too. Quantum Physics I is the course name, but the other course is Classical Mechanics I. As for textbooks, I haven't figured out my Quantum book but I know for Classical Mechanics it's Taylor's Classical Mechanics.

I took both classical mechanics and an introduction to quantum mechanics at the same time as an undergrad, it is doable.

Not something to worry too much about. In a perfect world, sure it would be better to let Hamiltonian dynamics learned in classical mechanics percolate for a semester or two before digging into quantum mechanics. But the profs teaching the courses know a number of students are taking the two courses at the same time, and I think you should trust them to make the necessary adjustments in their presentations.

1. How can you study both classical physics and quantum physics at the same time?

It is possible to study both classical physics and quantum physics at the same time by taking courses that cover both topics, or by studying them separately and then making connections between the two fields.

2. What are the main differences between classical physics and quantum physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of large objects and is based on Newton's laws of motion, while quantum physics describes the behavior of subatomic particles and is based on principles such as superposition and uncertainty.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to study both classical and quantum physics?

Yes, a strong understanding of mathematics is essential for studying both classical and quantum physics. Both fields rely heavily on mathematical equations and concepts for understanding and predicting physical phenomena.

4. How do classical and quantum physics relate to each other?

Classical physics can be seen as an approximation of quantum physics for large objects. In certain situations, classical physics breaks down and quantum effects become more prominent, showing the connection between the two fields.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying both classical and quantum physics?

Studying both classical and quantum physics can lead to a better understanding of the physical world and can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine. For example, quantum mechanics is used in the development of computer technology and medical imaging techniques.