Taking Calc based Physics on-line

• Thread starter wandering
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker has been trying to pursue a mechanical engineering degree while juggling a full-time job and family responsibilities. They have taken Calc 1 and plan to take Calc 2 and a freshman ME course in the fall, followed by Calc 3 and physics in the spring. However, they are unsure if taking an online physics course would be a good choice, as they have not enjoyed their previous online courses and are concerned about the lack of hands-on lab experience. They also mention the difficulty of dealing with two different advisors from a community college and university.
wandering
I have been attempting to take classes towards a mechanical engineering degree for a few years. I have a full time job, 50-60 hours a week, and a family. I have taken Calc 1 and will attempt Calc 2, as well as a freshman ME course, in the fall. I was thinking of taking Calc 3 and physics in the Spring. I will only be able to take 1 of the courses at the college. Would physics be a bad choice for on-line. I have taken a couple of on-line courses so far. I have not enjoyed it, but I have still managed to get A's.

Physics news on Phys.org
I very much doubt any real engineering schools would accept an online physics course. Physics courses involve labs, and you can't do those online.

That's a good point. I better check first. I am cuncurrent with a community college and university, so it does get a little confusing dealing with two different advisors. Since I am not a traditional student, the university seems to blow me off a bit.

Related to Taking Calc based Physics on-line

1. What are the benefits of taking calc based physics online?

There are many benefits to taking calc based physics online. It allows for a more flexible schedule, as you can watch lectures and complete assignments at your own pace. It also allows for more personalized learning, as you can re-watch lectures and focus on areas that you may need more help with. Online courses also tend to have smaller class sizes, allowing for more one-on-one interaction with the instructor.

2. Is it more difficult to learn calc based physics online compared to in-person?

The difficulty of learning calc based physics online versus in-person depends on the individual. Some people may find it easier to learn online, while others may prefer the structure and interaction of in-person classes. It is important to have strong self-discipline and time management skills when taking an online course.

3. Will I have access to the same resources and materials as in-person students?

Yes, most online calc based physics courses provide access to the same resources and materials as in-person courses. This may include textbooks, lecture notes, practice problems, and online discussion forums. It is important to check with the specific course or institution to confirm what materials will be provided.

4. How will labs be conducted in an online calc based physics course?

Labs in online calc based physics courses may be conducted in a few different ways. Some courses may have virtual labs where students can manipulate simulations and collect data. Other courses may require students to complete lab experiments at home and submit their data and analysis. It is important to check with the specific course or institution to understand the lab requirements.

5. Will I receive the same credit and recognition for taking an online calc based physics course?

Yes, most institutions recognize and give credit for online calc based physics courses just like in-person courses. It is important to check with the specific institution to confirm their policies on online courses and credit transfer. Additionally, online courses may also offer certificates of completion or digital badges to recognize your achievement in the course.