Taking good notes fast - on computer? By hand? software?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on note-taking for their chemistry and biology studies. They prefer to make concise notes on their computer for quick retrieval later on. However, they struggle with writing equations and incorporating drawings into their notes. They are looking for a software or solution that would allow them to write equations and chemical equations faster. One suggestion is a digitizing pen, which the person has been meaning to get themselves.
christian0710
Hi, So I'm studying Chemistry and biology and I'd like to hear your advice on notetaking. Perhaps some of you can help me find some good software for taking notes faster? First let me paint the picture for you:

Whenever I learn a new subject such as electrochemistry or Entropy etc., I like to make small notes on my computer which summerize the main points of a subject in a very understandable way, and then a guide on how to use fx Electropotential charts, or Enthalpy charts etc. The reason for doing this is simply to save lot's of time in later studies. Let's say one year after i took an electrochhemistry course, i read some material which assumes a basic understanding of electrochemistry - Then i can just use my search function on my PC and retrieve my "quick electrochemistry notes" describing how electrochemistry works in a nutshell, instead of having to go through a big textbook with a lot of text and vague explanations (Huge time saver for later courses!)

Here is the problem:
I write text faster on a computer than i can by hand, but I write equations a lot faster by hand than i can do in word 2010. Also I like to include drawings into my notes, but i find it takes a long time to draw things by hand, take a picture with my iphone, and copy the drawings into my notes.

What would be a good solution to this problem? Is there a good software which allows me to write mathmatical equations or chemical equations faster than the Word 2010 equation editor? How do you guys/girls take good notes that you can use for later?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How can I take good notes quickly on a computer?

There are a few strategies you can use to take good notes quickly on a computer. One method is to use a note-taking software or app that allows you to type and organize your notes efficiently. Another strategy is to use shorthand or abbreviations to write down key points and ideas. Additionally, you can try using bullet points or numbered lists to make your notes more organized and easy to read.

2. Is it better to take notes by hand or on a computer?

The answer to this question depends on personal preference and the situation. Some people find that writing notes by hand helps them retain information better, while others prefer typing on a computer. Generally, taking notes by hand may be more beneficial for learning and memory, but using a computer can be faster and provide more organized notes.

3. Are there any specific software or apps recommended for taking notes?

There are many note-taking software and apps available, and it ultimately depends on your needs and preferences. Some popular options include Evernote, OneNote, Google Keep, and Notion. It may be helpful to try out a few different options to see which one works best for you.

4. How can I take good notes using software?

The key to taking good notes using software is to find a system that works for you. This may include using different fonts, colors, headings, and formatting to make your notes more organized and easy to read. It may also be helpful to use features such as tags, folders, and search options to quickly find and access specific notes.

5. Are there any tips for taking notes quickly and efficiently?

One tip for taking notes quickly and efficiently is to focus on key points and main ideas rather than trying to write down every single detail. It can also be helpful to use abbreviations, symbols, or shorthand to save time. Additionally, make sure to review and organize your notes after each session to ensure they are accurate and well-organized.