Taking picture of stars from weather balloon

In summary, a high school physics teacher is building a science payload to launch on a weather balloon and is looking for ways to take pictures of stars during the day from an altitude of 15-20 miles. They are considering using a camera pointed up at an angle, shielded from sunlight, but the challenge is keeping the camera still or finding a cheap and lightweight way to do so. They also want to hook a spectroscope to a camera to show the change in absorption at high altitudes. It may be difficult to position the camera to only see space, and keeping it stable for a longer exposure may be challenging. One suggestion is to float the camera in a small amount of fluid. A possible option for the camera is an iPhone HD
Space_launch
I'm a high school physics teacher and my students are building a science payload to launch on a weather balloon. You can look http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=458390&challengeid=39361" to see some project details and even donate a couple bucks to help make the project a reality.

So here is the question: How can we take pictures of stars during the day from an altitude of 15-20 miles? I figure that we will be above enough of the atmosphere to make it possible. I'm imagining a camera pointed up at an angle (so it isn't pointing at the balloon) shielded from sunlight. But the big challenge is keeping the camera still, or being able to take the picture with a fast enough exposure.

So are there any cheap cameras that can image stars with a fast exposure? And if not, is there a cheap and lightweight way to keep a camera stationary long enough to image stars?

I'd also love to hook a spectroscope to a camera...maybe take a picture of the sun with it to show the change in absorption at high altitudes. Any thoughts on how I can pull that off?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think that should be high enough that you'll see the blackness of space fine. http://www.google.com/images?&q=100000+feet+altitude" are similar pics. Getting stars in a picture though, will be a problem at any height. If the Earth, Sun, or the balloon (illuminated by the Sun) are in the frame then it'll be overly saturated and you won't get stars. See for example this picture from the Moon, which obviously has zero atmosphere:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Earth-moon.jpg"

Since the Earth will fill below, and the balloons and Sun will fill most of above I imagine it may be quite hard to position a camera so that it only sees space. Perhaps you can put one camera on top of the balloons. I don't know enough about photography, but it may be possible to get stars if you increase the exposure, at the expense of totally saturating any part of the image with something illuminated by the Sun in it. You could test this by just trying to get stars to show up in pictures taken at night with something very bright (like a light bulb) in the frame.

As far as keeping it stable for the longer exposure needed, that may be difficult. Perhaps you could rig up something so that it is floating is a small amount of fluid. I'm not sure what kind of winds will be present. However, I'd guess if there are any significant winds keeping the camera still for a long exposure will be nearly impossible.

Look at http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-10-father-son-iphone-hd-camera.html" . I don't think there's a chance for long exposure.

What equipment is needed to take pictures of stars from a weather balloon?

To take pictures of stars from a weather balloon, you will need a camera with manual settings, a wide-angle lens, a mount for the camera, a remote shutter release, and a weather balloon with helium.

How high can a weather balloon go to take pictures of stars?

A weather balloon can typically reach heights of 100,000 feet or more, depending on the size and type of balloon used. This altitude is high enough to capture clear images of stars and the night sky.

What precautions should be taken when launching a weather balloon for star photography?

It is important to check weather conditions and obtain proper permits before launching a weather balloon. You should also ensure that the balloon is properly inflated and secured to prevent any accidents. Additionally, you should have a plan for safely retrieving the balloon after it lands.

What settings should be used on the camera for taking pictures of stars from a weather balloon?

The camera settings will vary depending on the specific camera and lens being used, as well as the desired outcome. However, in general, it is recommended to use a high ISO (800 or higher), a wide aperture (f/2.8 or lower), and a long exposure time (15-30 seconds).

Can pictures of stars taken from a weather balloon be used for scientific research?

Yes, pictures of stars taken from a weather balloon can be used for scientific research. These images can provide valuable data for studying the night sky and celestial objects. They can also be used to track changes in atmospheric conditions at high altitudes.