Target Practice: Calculating Bullets & Angles for 200m Range

• Thread starter physicsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, a shooter aiming directly at a target on the same level 200 m away will have the bullet travel horizontally at 250 m/s. This will result in the nearest encounter with the target at 0.8 seconds. To find the angle needed to hit the target, the equation v^2=v1^2-2gy can be used, with the halfway distance of 100 m and the gravitational constant of 9.8 m/s^2. The calculated angle is 10.2 degrees. It may be easier to use vectors and the trajectory formula to find the angle.
physicsss
A shooter aims directly at a target on the same level 200 m away.

a) If the bullet leaves the gun at a speed of 250 m/s, by how much will it miss the target?

b) At what angle should the gun be aimed so the target will be hit?

Physics news on Phys.org
The bullet will travel horizontally at 250 m/s, thus making the nearest encounter with the target at 200/250 = 0.8 s. In this time, how much will the bullet have fallen from its original position? Remember that the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2. The answer to (b) should immediately follow.

For part a, I used the equation y2=y1+v1*t-1/2*g*t^2
since y1=0 and v1=0 in the y-direction, the equation is left with y=1/2*g*t^2
y=-1/2*(-9.8)*0.8^2=3.14 (is my sig figs correct?)

For b, I used v^2=v1^2-2gy, since at halfway distance is 100m and v=0 in the y direction, equation becomes

0=(sin(x)*250)^2+2*9.80*100

x=10.2
Is this and the sig figs right?

nevermind. thanks for the link

Last edited:
recon said:
The bullet will travel horizontally at 250 m/s, thus making the nearest encounter with the target at 200/250 = 0.8 s.

Actually, the nearest encounter will occur somewhat earlier than that! :smile:

But you're really interested in the time it takes for the horizontal distance traveled by the bullet to equal the original distance to the target.

Tide said:
But you're really interested in the time it takes for the horizontal distance traveled by the bullet to equal the original distance to the target.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I just didn't know how to put it in words. :blushing: So I opted to put it the way I did, without realising that it was wrong.

Related to Target Practice: Calculating Bullets & Angles for 200m Range

What is the purpose of target practice?

The purpose of target practice is to improve one's accuracy and precision in shooting a firearm. It is also used to train and prepare for real-life shooting situations.

How is the distance of 200m determined for target practice?

The distance of 200m is typically chosen for target practice as it is a common distance for long-range shooting. It allows for a good balance between challenge and practicality.

What factors affect the trajectory of a bullet at 200m?

The trajectory of a bullet at 200m can be affected by factors such as wind speed and direction, air density, bullet weight and shape, and the angle of the rifle barrel. These factors can all impact the bullet's speed, spin, and direction, ultimately affecting its trajectory.

How do you calculate the angle needed for a bullet to hit a target at 200m?

The angle needed for a bullet to hit a target at 200m can be calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically the tangent function. The angle can be determined by dividing the horizontal distance by the vertical distance and taking the inverse tangent of that value.

Why is it important to calculate the angle for target practice at 200m?

Calculating the angle for target practice at 200m is crucial as it allows the shooter to adjust their aim and compensate for any external factors that may affect the bullet's trajectory. It also helps to improve accuracy and precision in hitting the target.