Taylor Series Expansion of f(x) at 0

In summary, the OP showed us how to compute the sin(x) and cosh(x) series, but when trying to get the anwser for f''(x) and f'''(x), they found that it was too difficult and they wanted an easier way to find the answers.
esrever10
Homework Statement
Expand the function ##f(x)=\sin x / (\cosh x + 2)## in a Taylor series around the origin going up to ##x^3##
Relevant Equations
##f(x)=f(a)+f^{(1)}(a)(x-a)+\frac{1}{2!}f(2)(a)(x-a)^2+...##
First I got ##f(0)=0##,

Then I got ##f'(x)(0)=\frac{\cos x(2+\cosh x)-\sin x\sinh x}{(2+\cosh x)^2}=1/3##

But when I tried to got ##f''(x)## and ##f'''(x)##, I felt that's terrible, If there's some easy way to get the anwser?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work.

Likes esrever10
Orodruin said:
Please show your work.
I don't get this, they showed us how they computed the first term of the series.

Esrever, a neat trick is you can write out the numerator and denominator as series, then apply ##\frac{1}{1-y}=1+y+y^2...## to the denominator where ##y## needs to be all the stuff that goes to zero. Then a bit of algebra on what's left gets you the solution.

This is not that much easier, but probably feels more fulfilling than computing tedious derivatives.

Likes esrever10, FactChecker and topsquark
Office_Shredder said:
I don't get this, they showed us how they computed the first term of the series.
If you look at the last edit time of the OP you will see that it is later than when I posted. The original OP did not include this.

Likes malawi_glenn
Orodruin said:
If you look at the last edit time of the OP you will see that it is later than when I posted. The original OP did not include this.

Sorry, my mistake for missing that.

Likes malawi_glenn
If you find the series for sin(x) and cosh(x) out to enough terms, then you can do regular multiplication and long division of polynomials.

Likes esrever10 and topsquark
You already have [itex]f(0)[/itex] and [itex]f'(0)[/itex]. You (should) know that [itex]f''(0) = 0[/itex] because [itex]f[/itex] is odd, so all you need is [itex]f'''(0)[/itex]. What you don't need is the general expression for [itex]f'''(x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex]; an expression for [itex]f'''(0)[/itex] in terms of [itex]f(0)[/itex], [itex]f'(0)[/itex] and [itex]f''(0)[/itex] will suffice.

Start with [tex]
(2 + \cosh x)f(x) = \sin x[/tex] and differentiate both sides three times using the product rule: [tex]
\sum_{n=0}^3 \binom{3}{n} f^{(n)}(x) \frac{d^{3-n}}{dx^{3-n}}(2 + \cosh x) = -\cos x.[/tex] Now substitute [itex]x = 0[/itex] and solve for [itex]f'''(0)[/itex].

Likes esrever10
I'd probably go with the method of post #3. I do find it simpler than brute forcing by computing the derivatives.

1. What is a Taylor series expansion?

A Taylor series expansion is a mathematical tool used to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms, with each term being a polynomial of increasing degree. It is named after mathematician Brook Taylor.

2. What is the purpose of a Taylor series expansion?

The purpose of a Taylor series expansion is to approximate a function near a specific point by using a polynomial function. This allows for easier calculations and analysis of the original function.

3. How is a Taylor series expansion calculated?

A Taylor series expansion is calculated by taking the derivatives of the function at the chosen point and then plugging in the values into the general form of a Taylor series. The general form is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (f''(a)/2!)(x-a)^2 + (f'''(a)/3!)(x-a)^3 + ...

4. What is the significance of expanding a function at 0?

Expanding a function at 0, also known as a Maclaurin series expansion, is useful because it simplifies the calculations and allows for a more accurate approximation of the function near 0. It also provides insight into the behavior of the function at 0.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Taylor series expansion?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Taylor series expansion. The approximation is only accurate near the chosen point and becomes less accurate as you move further away. It also may not converge for certain functions or at certain points.