Tea, coffee and your favourite cups

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary, people drink hot drinks in the autumn to warm up. Some people prefer tea, others coffee, and some enjoy cocoa or hot chocolate. There are many types of coffee and tea, and people have different favorite cups (mugs). Some people are tea drinkers in the morning and coffee drinkers in the afternoon, while others switch between the two. Coffee is either "regular" or "decaf". Some people like to freeze up whenever they see a chalkboard with two dozen varieties of coffee on it. Lastly, people sometimes drink coffee or tea on the road.
Sophia
So the autumn equinox and colder weather are here. In this time of year, people feel the need to warm up with hot drinks. What's your favourite one? Are you a tea or a coffee person? Or perhaps you prefer cocoa or hot chocolate?
Do you care about the specific brand and preparation method?
Have you got a favourite cup (mug) that you prefer over others?

Physics news on Phys.org
I only drink coffee camping and at diners. On cold winter nights I enjoy a nice cup of tea.

Likes Nidum
Spiced "cider," store bought mix.
Sophia said:
favourite cup (mug)
They all get broken.:H

Likes gracy and S.G. Janssens
Coffee, black, very strong, preferably in an aged mug from some dusty gathering on applied mathematics and ideally served with not one but two doughnuts.

Like the poster in #3, I am unfortunate enough to usually break such mugs before they reach a mature age. Hence my "like": It is out of sympathy, not because I enjoy you breaking your favorite mugs.

Likes Bystander
Greg Bernhardt said:
I only drink coffee camping [...]
Like this? :woot:
cowboycoffeepot.jpg

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Sophia said:
Have you got a favourite cup (mug) that you prefer over others?
Yes! A few years back I got three beautiful hand made mugs at the swap meet for cheap. What is remarkable about them is that the potter made the walls extremely thin for a mug. Normally everyone goes the other way, and they're too clunky and heavy. The glaze is also very beautiful.

The sad part is that two are already broken. I'm afraid the last intact one will also get broken, so I don't use it anymore. Which kind of defeats the purpose. I wish I could locate the potter and see if he has any more, but all I have is an illegible name scrawled in clay on the bottom.

Likes Sophia
I had a favorite coffee mug, it had a thermal image that only appeared when the mug got hot, it was a gift. We were moving and the packers were packing our things, I was upstairs and heard something shatter, I went downstairs, but saw nothing, no one said anything, I went over and lifted the trash bag, clink, clink, I reached in and pulled out pieces of my precious mug. That was the beginning of thousands of dollars in losses, which turned out to be caused by the unemployable idiot relative of one of the workers. The movers tried to "financially" compensate me for all of the things he destroyed. There are things that can't be compensated for.

Likes Sophia and Fervent Freyja
Pike Place by Starbucks straight up, nothing cutting it.

Tea in the evening with a shot of whiskey in the winter when I am feeling rundown.

My favorite up matches the cup in the picture posted by jtbell...

I like both, but lately I've been drinking way more tea... lots of it, five or more cups a day, love it...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :blushing:

I seldom go camping any more, but if I do go out and about I usually make tea... or coffee... simply using a billy.

Lol... and I really do like that song ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :approve:

I never was a swaggie, though...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldtongue:
jtbell said:
Like this? :woot:
Yup... more or less like that ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:oldbiggrin:

OCR said:
I like both, but lately I've been drinking way more tea... lots of it, five or more cups a day, love it...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :blushing:
"Oh, you got both kinds."

fresh_42 said:
"Oh, you got both kinds."
Possibly ... ?

OCR said:
Possibly ... ?
Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.

Where are the torus jokes?

fresh_42 said:
Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.
Ah!... got it.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldwink:
Where are the torus jokes?
Here... ?

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
I started out as a tea drinker in high school or college. I think it was after I finished grad school and started teaching that I switched to coffee, probably because of the coffeemaker right outside my office in the departmental "lounge".

For me, coffee is either "regular" or "decaf". I freeze up whenever I see a chalkboard with two dozen varieties of coffee on it. I think I've actually had coffee at a Starbucks exactly once. We buy cheap coffee at Aldi, brew it in a generic drip coffeemaker in the morning, and reheat the cold leftover coffee in a microwave when we get home in the afternoon. On the road, we stop at the nearest gas station or McDonald's for a coffee break.

Here's a mug I picked up on one of those road trips:

mug.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, OCR and fresh_42
OCR said:
Ah!... got it.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldwink:
The word both automatically triggers this quote in me, although I would have linked Rawhide.
Thanks. It took me this link to realize @Krylov's two doughnuts joke in #4. I get old ...

fresh_42 said:
The word both automatically triggers this quote in me, although I would have linked Rawhide.
Yeah, that would have been better ... :oldcool:
fresh_42 said:
Thanks. It took me this link to realize @Krylov's two doughnuts joke in #4.
Lol... that didn't register with me at all...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :blushing:

Hot chocolate. Even if I'm already melting from the atmospheric temperature. :biggrin:

*drinks* "But it's hot already Psinter"

Me: Doesn't matter, had chocolate.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
fresh_42 said:
Thanks. It took me this link to realize @Krylov's two doughnuts joke in #4. I get old ...
OCR said:
Lol... that didn't register with me at all...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :blushing:
It didn't register with me either, I just really like doughnuts. No need to worry about old age :smile:

I only drink hot lemon aid, there is to much caffeine in coffee and tea which is so bad for one. and i all ways use my PFs mug that is sacred to me.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Regarding hot drinks, I've become a creature of habit:

Coffee in the mornings and after lunch; in the afternoons, Lady Grey tea; after my evening meal, Lapsang Souchong; and, before bed, soothing Camomile and Honey.

Likes Sophia
PeroK said:
Regarding hot drinks, I've become a creature of habit:

Coffee in the mornings and after lunch; in the afternoons, Lady Grey tea; after my evening meal, Lapsang Souchong; and, before bed, soothing Camomile and Honey.
Great routine!

Dr Transport said:
where'd you get that cup
It's on the cup, if you look closely... :oldwink:

Got it... Next time i am in new mexico I am going to get that cup...

When will there be Physics Forums coffee mugs?

Likes DrClaude
My Hawaii mug is my favorite. In the morning it's Earl Grey, Morning Thunder and Licorice Spice straight up with nothing in it. I like very strong tea.

Well, I'm Turkish so I drink a lot of Turkish tea throughout the day in this little lovely cup.

1ok_caysimit.jpg

Likes fresh_42 and Sophia
Nugso said:
Well, I'm Turkish so I drink a lot of Turkish tea throughout the day in this little lovely cup.

1ok_caysimit.jpg
I've drunk tea from one of those and it tasted very nice. It's interesting how a shape of a cup or glass affects the taste of drink.
For example, there's only one glass that makes my decaf coffee taste good. Whichever other cup I use, it tastes quite bad.

Sophia said:
For example, there's only one glass that makes my decaf coffee taste good.
You know, that it isn't 100% free of caffeine? (At least it hasn't been in the 80's.)

Sophia said:
I've drunk tea from one of those and it tasted very nice. It's interesting how a shape of a cup or glass affects the taste of drink.
For example, there's only one glass that makes my decaf coffee taste good. Whichever other cup I use, it tastes quite bad.

Hah! I wonder if it's some placebo effect, but you're definitely right.

Likes Sophia
For me, its a cup of strong dark roast in the morning. When I'm sick, it's a hot toddy with orange pekoe, whiskey, lemon and honey. By the camp fir, it's hot spiced cider with whiskey. Occasionally, I like mint tea after dinner (we grow or own mint). My favorite cup is a mug with Grumpy on it. I inherited it from my father-in-law. It couldn't have gone to a more deserving person. :smile: