Teaching Myself General Relativity: Seeking Help and Discussing LaTeX Usage

• Thread starter petecc
  • Start date
In summary, seeking help and discussing the usage of LaTeX are important steps in teaching oneself general relativity. Seeking help from experts and discussing the intricacies of LaTeX can greatly enhance one's understanding and ability to grasp the complex concepts of general relativity. It is also crucial to have a solid understanding of LaTeX in order to properly communicate and present one's findings in the field of general relativity.
petecc
How did you find PF?
Google search for physics forums.
High all, I'm originally an engineer (degree in electronics but now software) and I'm studying physics for pleasure. Done a few Open University (UK) modules to get me up to some sort of speed mathematically, and got a distinction in their quantum mechanics course :smile: . Unfortunately their courses have become very expensive and they don't do anything much more advanced so I'm trying to teach myself.

Currently trying to get my head around general relativity and am hoping to get help with any questions I have here.

One thing seems odd, I've looked at the LaTeX guide in the help section but it's not previewing. Does it work: ##e^{i\pi} = -1##?

ETA: Apparently LaTeX does work when you post it :confused: - is this normal here?

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
:welcome:

Thanks!

PeroK said:
Yes, Latex works:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

$$ds^2 = -(1-\frac{GM}{r}) dt^2 + (1-\frac{GM}{r})^{-1} dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2 + r^2 \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2$$

Yes - but it didn't seem to preview properly (or even at all) when I was writing the original message, seems to be working now I'm writing a reply.
$$\Omega^{-2} = \frac{1}{4} \sec^2 p \sec^2 q$$
Thanks anyway.

Likes berkeman and PeroK