Teaching Myself Physics: A Lifelong Interest

• Thread starter GravitysCool
  • Start date
In summary, teaching oneself physics is a lifelong interest that requires dedication, persistence, and a passion for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe. It involves self-directed learning through textbooks, online resources, and experimentation, as well as seeking guidance from experienced physicists. By continuously challenging oneself and staying curious, teaching oneself physics can lead to a deep understanding and appreciation for the natural world and its mysteries.
GravitysCool
Hey everyone,

I've been a fly on the wall on this site for the past few days, and figured I'd quit being a weirdo and just sign up.

First off, about my background in physics...there's not one. I just want to teach myself physics.

My interest has been lifelong. Since I was a young kid, I seemed to have thoughts and questions I couldn't properly explain. In school, due to thinking I was completely stupid, opted out of all math and science classes that were beyond the minimum requirements, and screwing myself out of an opportunity to maybe explain these ideas I was having. Now I'm 21, just as stupid, but frustrated with the fact that I never even tried to learn. I plan to begin with math; relearning algebra and geometry, then moving on to teach myself trigonometry, then to precal and calculus. After that I'll begin digging into actual physics. It'll take a while, but I'm determined to go as far as I can with this.

In the meantime, I'll be bouncing around the forums here, trying to familiarize myself with the different branches and very basic concepts of physics. Maybe posting a random question every once in a while.

All in all, super excited to be a part of this site. I love the diversity in backgrounds and education. Really gives this whole thing a communal feel (which I suppose it the whole purpose).

That's it,
-AP

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure i can relate to that all in all, (im only 14) but i am at the moment teaching myself and messing around with mechanical engineering, hope you figure out all your Qs and make friends ( If i can you can!)

( And good luck!)

What is your Calculus book?

Sorry, this is for introductions only, discussions need to be posted in the appropriate sub-forums.

Likes GravitysCool