Teaching yourself modern physics

In summary, the conversation revolved around a software engineer's interest in self-teaching modern physics and the necessary mathematical foundation for it. The main topics mentioned were calculus, vector calculus, differential geometry, matrices, group theory, real analysis, complex analysis, probability and statistics. The participants also emphasized the importance of mathematics in physics and provided a helpful link for further guidance.
pamparana
Hello everyone,

I am a software engineer by profession. However, I would love to teach myself Physics and would like to gain a deeper understanding of modern physics. I know it is quit a daunting tasks but I am determined to make it happen, even if it takes a few many years!

I understand that I will need to build a very extensive mathematical foundation for this. I am pretty comfortable with calculus, linear algebra but am not a Mathematician and would probably struggle (on very good days!) with some of the math involved.

So, my question to you guys is, what are the mathematical topics that one should be comfortable with before trying to study physics in some depth? What is the progression of the Mathematical topics that I should cover?

Thanks,

Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Luca, welcome to PF.

Calculus of course is a main one. Vector calculus, differential geometry, matrices, group theory, real analysis, complex analysis, probability and statistics.. the list goes on.
A physicist can never know enough mathematics, mathematics is like a physicists toolbox.

edit : Just found this, http://www.superstringtheory.com/math/math1.html

Great! Thanks for that link. Time to get cracking then :)

Luca

No problem!
Good luck! :wink:

Related to Teaching yourself modern physics

1. What is the best way to start teaching myself modern physics?

The best way to start teaching yourself modern physics is by familiarizing yourself with the basics of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. You can also read introductory textbooks and watch online lectures to get a better understanding of the fundamentals.

2. What are some resources that can help me in my self-study of modern physics?

There are plenty of resources available for self-study of modern physics, such as textbooks, online lectures, video tutorials, and practice problems. Some popular textbooks include "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John R. Taylor and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John C. Morrison. Online platforms like Khan Academy and Coursera also offer free courses on modern physics.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to learn modern physics on my own?

Having a strong math background is definitely an advantage when learning modern physics, as many concepts rely heavily on mathematical equations and calculations. However, it is not impossible to learn modern physics without a strong math background. You can start by brushing up on your algebra and calculus skills and then gradually move on to more advanced topics.

4. How can I ensure that I am understanding the concepts correctly while teaching myself modern physics?

One way to ensure that you are understanding the concepts correctly is by regularly practicing problems and testing your knowledge. You can also join online forums or study groups where you can discuss concepts with others and ask for clarification. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or a tutor can also help you better understand the material.

5. What are some common challenges that people face when teaching themselves modern physics?

Some common challenges that people face when teaching themselves modern physics include understanding complex mathematical concepts, grasping abstract theories, and staying motivated. It can also be challenging to find the right resources and to balance self-study with other commitments. However, with dedication and persistence, these challenges can be overcome.