Temperature generated from crushing metal into powder

In summary, the conversation discusses how to estimate the temperature rise of a brittle metal being crushed into powder. One method is to calculate the energy required to break the bonds and account for energy losses. Another approach is to calculate the energy per impact and number of impacts to create the powder, taking into account heat loss and the material's heat capacity. It is noted that this process would likely result in a temperature lower than the melting point of the material. It is also mentioned that powders are typically formed from melts using rapid solidification techniques.
DragonPetter
Say I have a brittle metal that I start smashing up with a hammer to crush it into a powder. How do I know how much the material's temperature will rise from this if I assume an average repetitive force crushing onto 5 grams of the material?

Engineering news on Phys.org
One could estimate the surface area of the powder and figure out the energy require to break the bonds to create the surface. One would then have to make an assumption on the energy losses during the process. Or calcuate the energy per impact and the number of impacts to create the powder, and relate to temperature through the heat capacity accounting for heat loss.

Certainly it's less than the melting temperature.

As far as I know, powders are formed from melts with rapid solidification techniques.

What is the temperature generated when crushing metal into powder?

The temperature generated when crushing metal into powder varies depending on the type of metal and the method of crushing. In general, the temperature can range from room temperature to several hundred degrees Celsius.

What factors affect the temperature generated from crushing metal into powder?

The temperature generated from crushing metal into powder can be affected by various factors such as the type and properties of the metal, the amount of pressure applied during crushing, and the speed of the crushing process. Other factors such as the temperature and humidity of the environment can also play a role.

Can the temperature generated from crushing metal into powder be controlled?

Yes, the temperature generated from crushing metal into powder can be controlled to some extent. The amount of pressure applied, the speed of the crushing process, and the use of cooling techniques can help regulate the temperature and prevent it from reaching dangerously high levels.

Is the temperature generated from crushing metal into powder dangerous?

In some cases, the temperature generated from crushing metal into powder can be dangerous. It is important to take proper precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, to prevent any potential hazards.

What are some potential applications of the temperature generated from crushing metal into powder?

The temperature generated from crushing metal into powder can have various applications in industries such as manufacturing, materials science, and metallurgy. It can be used to produce finer and more precisely sized metal powders, which can then be used in processes such as 3D printing, powder metallurgy, and surface coating.