How Does Releasing an Object Affect Tension in a Pulley System?

In summary, when an object is held in place on a frictionless ramp by a second object attached to it via an ideal pulley, the net force on the first object is greater than the net force on the second object. This means that when the first object is released, the tension on the rope will decrease since the second object is now accelerating. This can be seen in the equations for when the second object is stationary or accelerating. This phenomenon can also be observed if the rope is cut and the second object falls freely, resulting in a tension of 0.
Redfire66
So I've been thinking about something for some time now, suppose you have an object (m1) on a frictionless ramp. There is an ideal pulley where the object is attached to one another and hangs down off the ramp (m2). And suppose that someone is holding the first block in place (m1) . If the person stops holding onto it, the first block will be pulled by the second block (hence m2 > m1).
I heard that the tension should be less than before

From what I assume, the net force on the first object should be greater than the net force on the second object (to keep it in place, however they should not equal each other right? Since that could mean there is a velocity)
Anyhow, if the tension of the rope is affected by the second object pulling on it (m2) then shouldn't the tension be the same since releasing the object doesn't change the tension applied from the block pulling on it?
I have a diagram here, I assume that the tension on block 1 should be the same on block 2.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
I heard that the tension should be less than before.

That's correct. Consider the forces on mass M2 on it's own.

When stationary:
M2*g - T = 0
so
T = M2*g

When mass M2 is accelerating:
M2*g - T = M2*a
so
T = M2*(g - a)
which is less.

It might seem more obvious if you consider what happens if the rope is cut so that M2 is in freefall (a=g). Clearly T=0 which is less than M2*g.

What is tension force when released?

Tension force when released refers to the force exerted by a stretched or compressed object when it is released and allowed to return to its original shape. This force is also known as elastic force.

How is tension force calculated?

Tension force can be calculated using Hooke's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the tension force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

What affects the amount of tension force when released?

The amount of tension force when released is affected by the stiffness of the object, the amount of stretching or compression, and the speed at which the object is released. These factors can impact the magnitude and direction of the force.

What are some real-life examples of tension force when released?

Some real-life examples of tension force when released include a stretched rubber band or spring, a compressed coil, and a bow and arrow. These objects all exhibit tension force when released due to the elastic properties of the materials.

What are the practical applications of understanding tension force when released?

Understanding tension force when released is crucial in engineering and design, as it helps determine the strength and durability of materials and structures. It is also vital in areas such as sports and music, where tension forces are utilized in equipment such as tennis rackets and guitar strings.