Tension in Fixed Pulleys: Understanding Forces and Equilibrium

In summary, the tensions in the metal hinge and the two ropes in the given pulley system are equal to each other, but not equal to the sum or difference of the weights of the masses involved. This is because the pulley is not moving vertically and therefore the force holding it up must be twice the tension in the ropes. If the tensions were not equal, there would be a net force causing infinite acceleration of the rope.
Bipolarity

Homework Statement

http://learn.uci.edu/media/OC08/11004/OC0811004_L6Pulley.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so I am a bit confused about how pulleys work. Assume the pulley in the diagram is massless and frictionless and that ropes/hinges are massless.
Now in the diagram, there are three tensions in consideration. The tension in the metal hinge connecting the ceiling to the pulley, the tension in the rope due to the mass on the left, and the tension in the rope due to the mass on the right.

First off, what is the tension in the metal hinge? I am sure it is equal to either the sum of the weights of the two masses, or equal to the difference between their weights. Which of these is it? I am confused about this.

Second off, the tension in the rope due to the mass on the left equals the tension in the rope due to the mass on the right, provided the rope is taut. Why is it that these two tensions are equal? What would happen were they not equal?

Thanks! Not a textbook problem, just my personal confusion over pulleys.

BiP

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bipolarity! :smile:
Bipolarity said:
First off, what is the tension in the metal hinge? I am sure it is equal to either the sum of the weights of the two masses, or equal to the difference between their weights. Which of these is it? I am confused about this.

Neither.

Since the pulley is not moving vertically, the force holding the pulley up must be 2T …

you'll need to use F = ma on each weight separately to find T. :wink:
Second off, the tension in the rope due to the mass on the left equals the tension in the rope due to the mass on the right, provided the rope is taut. Why is it that these two tensions are equal? What would happen were they not equal?

If they weren't equal, the net force would cause infinite acceleration of a stretch of rope, since the mass of the rope is zero! :biggrin:

Related to Tension in Fixed Pulleys: Understanding Forces and Equilibrium

What is tension in fixed pulleys?

Tension in fixed pulleys refers to the force exerted on the ropes or cables that run through the pulleys and support the load. It is the same throughout the rope or cable and is necessary to balance the weight of the load.

How is tension affected by the number of fixed pulleys?

The number of fixed pulleys in a system does not affect the amount of tension. The tension remains the same regardless of the number of pulleys, as long as the load remains the same.

What happens to tension when the load is increased?

When the load is increased, the tension in the rope or cable also increases. This is because the weight of the load exerts a greater force on the rope, causing the tension to increase in order to balance the load.

What is the relationship between tension and distance in fixed pulleys?

The tension in a fixed pulley system is directly proportional to the distance between the pulleys. As the distance increases, the tension also increases. This is because the longer the rope or cable, the more weight it has to support, resulting in higher tension.

How does friction affect tension in fixed pulleys?

Friction can affect the tension in fixed pulleys by reducing the amount of force that is transmitted through the rope or cable. This can be minimized by using lubricated pulleys or choosing materials with lower friction coefficients.