Tension of an object hanging in an airplane

In summary, Margaret uses her knowledge of physics to measure the speed of the aircraft during takeoff. By analyzing the forces acting on a dangling watch, she is able to calculate the acceleration of the aircraft and estimate its speed.
Rubber Ducky

Homework Statement

On her flight home at Thanksgiving, Margaret decides to apply the physics she has learned in PHYC1300 to measure the speed of the aircraft when it takes off. She dangles her watch from a string while the aircraft accelerates down the runway. Draw a free body diagram of the watch. Using her protractor, she notices that the string makes an angle of 22° with respect to the vertical edge of the window as the aircraft accelerates on the runway, which takes about 22 s. Estimate the takeoff speed of the aircraft.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{F}_{net}=m\vec{a}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{w}=-mg[/itex]

(here, [itex]\vec{w}[/itex] is the force of gravity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I find it difficult to draw diagrams for problems on computers, so hopefully words will suffice. I have the acceleration going to the left, and so the Cartesian axes are in the usual directions. [itex]\vec{w}[/itex] pulls straight down on the watch. Force of tension in the string, [itex]\vec{T}[/itex], points up and to the left, making the 22-degree angle with the y-axis. Breaking tension into components, I see that the x-component can be described with sine, because it is opposite the angle, and the y-component, with cosine, since it is adjacent:

[itex]\vec{T}_{x}=-|\vec{T}|sinθ[/itex]
[itex]\vec{T}_{y}=|\vec{T}|cosθ[/itex]

Also, since the acceleration is only in the x direction, [itex]\vec{w}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{T}_{y}[/itex] must be equal and opposite. Thus

[itex]\vec{T}_{x}=m\vec{a}[/itex]

[itex]-|\vec{T}|sinθ=m\vec{a}[/itex]

My goal for the moment is to find acceleration, and attempt to find speed from there. Unfortunately, you can see that I have an equation with two unknowns (mass and tension).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rubber Ducky said:
Also, since the acceleration is only in the x direction, [itex]\vec{w}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{T}_{y}[/itex] must be equal.
This will give you a second equation that will allow you to solve for the acceleration.

Doc Al said:
This will give you a second equation that will allow you to solve for the acceleration.

Thanks, I'm not sure how I didn't see it, but just this little prompt helped me with the algebraic manipulation. In case anyone needs help with this sort of problem in the future:[tex]m=(|\vec{T}|cosθ)/g[/tex]

[itex]\vec{a}=(-g|\vec{T}|sinθ)/(|\vec{T}|cosθ)[/itex]
[itex]\vec{a}=(-gsinθ)/(cosθ)[/itex]

1. What is the tension of an object hanging in an airplane?

The tension of an object hanging in an airplane refers to the force exerted on the object by the strings or ropes that are suspending it. This force is equal to the weight of the object and is directed upwards.

2. How is the tension of an object affected by the airplane's movement?

The tension of an object hanging in an airplane is affected by the airplane's movement in various ways. For example, during takeoff and landing when the airplane is accelerating or decelerating, the tension will change accordingly. Additionally, when the airplane is turning, the direction of the tension will also change.

3. Does the weight of the object affect the tension in an airplane?

Yes, the weight of the object does affect the tension in an airplane. The tension is directly proportional to the weight of the object, meaning that as the weight increases, the tension also increases.

4. How does the angle of the strings or ropes affect the tension of an object hanging in an airplane?

The angle of the strings or ropes can affect the tension of an object hanging in an airplane. When the angle is smaller, the tension will be higher, and when the angle is larger, the tension will be lower. This is because the component of the weight acting in the direction of the strings or ropes is greater when the angle is smaller.

5. What is the relationship between the tension and the acceleration of an object in an airplane?

The relationship between tension and acceleration in an airplane is a direct one. When the airplane is accelerating, the tension increases in the direction of the acceleration, and when the airplane is decelerating, the tension decreases in the opposite direction. This is due to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force (tension) is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.