Tension on each side of scaffold with window washer

In summary, a scaffold with a mass of 68 kg and length of 6.1 m is supported by two vertical cables, with a window washer of mass 77 kg standing 1.7 m from one end. The tension in the cable closer to the painter is 543.5 N and the tension in the cable further from the painter is 877.5 N. The tension can also be determined by taking the moment at each end and labeling the forces as T1 and T2, with the person's location on the scaffold determining which side has more tension.
Kdawg
A scaffold of mass 68 kg and length 6.1 m is supported in a horizontal position by one vertical cable at each end. A window washer of mass 77 kg stands at a point 1.7 m from one end.
What is the tension in the cable closer to the painter?
What is the tension in the cable further from the painter?
I calculated two forces 543.5 and 877.5, I am just not 100% sure what end each one is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you explain what you did. Its easier to determine if you are right that way.

I did it really quickly, and your answers seem right. In terms of determining which is which, be consistent with your variables and it should work out.

I first converted calculated the Force Weight because the answer needs to be in Newtons. Then I put a pivoit on the side closest to the window washer and balanced the forces.
(754.6 * 1.7) + (666.4 * 3.05) = 6.1x
543.5 = x
Then I subtracted that from the total downward force of 1421 to find the other side at 877.5
Im just not sure which side has what force.

No one knows this? I really need to do this soon.

Just take the moment at each end. Each one is only one equation one unknown.

Also, just looking at what side the window washer is on, you should intuitively determine which side will have more tension.

Label the force on the left side as T1 and the force on the right as T2. Then place the person somewhere on the bar. If you draw your free body diagram properly and are consistent with your variables you should be able to see which side is which.

You can also do it intuitively as Cantari suggested. Based on where the person is standing, which side do you think will have more tension?

Related to Tension on each side of scaffold with window washer

What is the "Window Washer Torque problem"?

The "Window Washer Torque problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the torque (rotational force) required to lift a window washer hanging from a rope attached to a building.

What are the key factors that affect the torque in the "Window Washer Torque problem"?

The key factors that affect the torque in the "Window Washer Torque problem" include the mass of the window washer, the distance from the rope to the building, and the angle of the rope.

How do you calculate the torque in the "Window Washer Torque problem"?

The torque in the "Window Washer Torque problem" can be calculated using the formula: torque = force x distance. In this case, the force is the weight of the window washer and the distance is the distance from the rope to the building.

How does the angle of the rope affect the torque in the "Window Washer Torque problem"?

The angle of the rope can greatly affect the torque in the "Window Washer Torque problem". The torque will be highest when the rope is perpendicular to the building, and will decrease as the angle of the rope gets closer to parallel to the building.

How can the "Window Washer Torque problem" be applied in real-world scenarios?

The "Window Washer Torque problem" can be applied in real-world scenarios when determining the safety and stability of workers hanging from ropes on buildings or other structures. It can also be used to calculate the torque required for various tasks involving ropes and weights, such as rock climbing or lifting heavy objects.