Tension, Spring and Moments of Inertia

In summary, the block falls down an incline at a speed of 5/6 m/s2 when the tension in the string is 5/6 m/s2 and the spring is at its natural length.
rahularvind06

Homework Statement

A given pulley has a radius of 20 cm and moment of inertia 0.2 kgm2. The string going over it is attached to a vertical spring of spring constant 50 N/m on one end and a 1 kg mass on the other end. The system is released from rest with the spring at natural length. Find the speed of the block when it has descended 10 cm.

Homework Equations

Γ = r x F
Γnet=Iα
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i let T2 be the tension in the rope pulling the spring upward and T1 be the tension pulling the mass upward.
then mg - T1 = ma ----- (1)
and T2 = kx

then for the pulley,
T1R -T2R =Iα
T1R -T2R = Ia/R
then T1 -T2 = 5a (substituting known values)
then T1 - kx = 5a ---- (2)

eliminating T1 between (1) and (2)
mg - kx - 5a = ma
substituting for m,k and x = 10 cm,
a = 5/6 m/s2
v=√2as
= 5/2√15

the correct answer, however is 0.5.
any conceptual errors or oversights in my answer? please help..

Physics news on Phys.org
rahularvind06 said:

Homework Statement

A given pulley has a radius of 20 cm and moment of inertia 0.2 kgm2. The string going over it is attached to a vertical spring of spring constant 50 N/m on one end and a 1 kg mass on the other end. The system is released from rest with the spring at natural length. Find the speed of the block when it has descended 10 cm.

Homework Equations

Γ = r x F
Γnet=Iα
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i let T2 be the tension in the rope pulling the spring upward and T1 be the tension pulling the mass upward.
then mg - T1 = ma ----- (1)
and T2 = kx

then for the pulley,
T1R -T2R =Iα
T1R -T2R = Ia/R
then T1 -T2 = 5a (substituting known values)
then T1 - kx = 5a ---- (2)

eliminating T1 between (1) and (2)
mg - kx - 5a = ma
substituting for m,k and x = 10 cm,
a = 5/6 m/s2
v=√2as
= 5/2√15

the correct answer, however is 0.5.
any conceptual errors or oversights in my answer? please help..

EDIT: Also, i have seen valid solutions using energy conservation but, no solutions with tensions..

rahularvind06 said:
v=√2as
Under what circumstances is this the correct relation between speed and acceleration?

kuruman said:
Under what circumstances is this the correct relation between speed and acceleration?
v²=u²+2as (constant acceleration)
Since motion starts from rest, u=0.

rahularvind06 said:
v²=u²+2as
Is this equation always applicable or only under a certain assumption?

kuruman said:
Is this equation always applicable or only under a certain assumption?
isnt this applicable whenever acceleration is constant? or am i missing something...

rahularvind06 said:
isnt this applicable whenever acceleration is constant? or am i missing something...
Yes. And, apparently yes. :smile:

Is acceleration constant here? What happens as the spring stretches?

Likes rahularvind06
gneill said:
Yes. And, apparently yes. [emoji2]

I get it now, so as the string stretches, the restoring force increases and so does the deceleration from the spring.

gneill said:
Yes. And, apparently yes. [emoji2]

How would you go about calculating the velocity in this case?
I know dV=a dt but i don't know how a varies with time...

rahularvind06 said:
How would you go about calculating the velocity in this case?
I know dV=a dt but i don't know how a varies with time...
You'll end up having to write and solve the differential equation for the motion. Considerably more effort than just using conservation of energy.

Likes rahularvind06
gneill said:
You'll end up having to write and solve the differential equation for the motion. Considerably more effort than just using conservation of energy.
Exactly my advice. However, there is a shortcut. You know that the motion will be harmonic oscillations obeying the SHM equation
$$\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-\frac{k}{m_{eff}}~x=-\omega^2~x$$
A few points to consider if you choose to go this way are,
1. The hanging mass will execute harmonic oscillations about its equilibrium point; you need to find where that is.
2. You need to find the amplitude of oscillations about the equilibrium point.
3. The "##m_{eff}##" in the denominator is the "effective" mass of the oscillator that takes into account the moment of inertia of the pulley. In other words, it is the mass you need to have to get the same frequency of oscillations ##\omega## in the case of a massless pulley.
Once you do all that, you can write down x(t) and find what you need. Still, considerably more effort compared with using energy conservation because you end up deriving expressions that you don't have to derive.

Likes gneill
got it now, thanks everybody for the help!

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled at both ends.

2. How is tension related to springs?

In a spring, tension is the force that is exerted when the spring is stretched or compressed. This force is what causes the spring to return to its original shape when the applied force is removed.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is directly related to an object's mass and how the mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.

4. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a simple object?

The moment of inertia for a simple object, such as a point mass or a uniform rod, is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The larger the moment of inertia, the slower the object will rotate for a given applied torque. This is because the object's mass is more spread out, making it more resistant to changes in its rotational motion.