How Do Tension Forces Distribute in a System with a Diagonal Rope?

• Thread starter adam3music
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope
In summary, the three tension values circled in the illustration are the tension in the diagonal cord, the tension in the vertical cord, and the tension in the horizontal cord. The vertical components of the tension in the upper (angled) rope will balance the vertical components of the other ropes. The horizontal rope contributes no vertical component and must balance out. The maximum possible horizontal tension in the horizontal rope is when the mass starts sliding.
adam3music

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-24_20-6-28.png

Homework Equations

SUM OF FORCES / BALANCING

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-3-24_20-10-0.png
Hey all, the question and my illustration are posted above. My main question is which blocks do the three Tension values I circled go? Are they all tied into the diagonal where the rope meets or do they go in the force equations for their respective blocks? Once I figure that out I can use the force equations and balance everything to find the mass of the hanging block. Thank you for any help, I appreciate it

EDIT* Also if my illustration is just flat out wrong , I apologize and will give it another shot. I feel like it's right but I'm still learning the very basics and struggling. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
adam3music said:
Are they all tied into the diagonal where the rope meets or do they go in the force equations for their respective blocks?
The standard procedure is to consider each rigid body separately. In this case, you can treat the meeting point of the three cords as a massless rigid body. Write out the force balance equations for each.
You seem to have T2 as the tension in both the diagonal cord and the vertical cord. They will not be the same.

Likes adam3music
Yes adam3music is correct in that the tension holding up the weight, is not the same as the tension in the angled rope.
Here are some things to consider:
The vertical components of the tension in the upper (angled) rope will balance the vertical components of the other ropes.
Does the horizontal rope contribute any vertical component?
How much vertical component does the rope which the weight is suspended?
How can you split the tension in the angled rope to its vertical and horizontal components?
All horizontal components must also balance out?
What is the maximum possible horizontal tension in the horizontal rope, before the mass starts sliding?

Related to How Do Tension Forces Distribute in a System with a Diagonal Rope?

1. What causes the tension on the diagonal rope?

The tension on the diagonal rope is caused by the weight of the object being supported by the rope. When an object is hung from the diagonal rope, it exerts a downward force on the rope, creating tension.

2. How does the tension on the diagonal rope impact the stability of the object?

The tension on the diagonal rope helps to stabilize the object by counteracting the downward force of gravity. Without tension on the diagonal rope, the object would fall due to gravity pulling it down.

3. Is the tension on the diagonal rope affected by the angle of the rope?

Yes, the tension on the diagonal rope is affected by the angle of the rope. The greater the angle of the rope, the more tension is created. This is because the angle increases the horizontal component of the force, which in turn increases the tension on the rope.

4. Can the tension on the diagonal rope be increased?

Yes, the tension on the diagonal rope can be increased by increasing the weight of the object being supported or by increasing the angle of the rope. The tension can also be increased by using a stronger and more durable rope.

5. How does the tension on the diagonal rope impact the overall strength of the structure?

The tension on the diagonal rope plays a crucial role in the overall strength of the structure. It helps to distribute the weight of the object evenly and prevents the structure from collapsing under the weight. Without proper tension on the diagonal rope, the structure may become unstable and fail.