Terminal Velocity of a Falling Parachutist

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of terminal velocity using the equation of motion. The initial attempt resulted in an incorrect answer due to a mistake in using the initial velocity. The concept of using the initial velocity and its effect on terminal velocity is also discussed, with the conclusion that terminal velocity should remain the same regardless of the initial velocity. The conversation also addresses errors in the specified units of measurement and the relationship between air resistance and weight. Overall, the conversation centers around formula manipulation rather than physics.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
A parachutist is falling with a speed of 55m/s when his parachute opens. The total weight of the man and the parachute is W and the air resistance is Wv²/25 N, where v is the instantaneous velocity. The terminal velocity is

A) 10m/s
B) 5m/s
C) 11m/s
D) zero
Relevant Equations
W d²y/dt² = Wg - Wv²/25
I tried to calculate it by the way I know, i.e., setting the right hand side of the equation of motion to zero and getting

v² = 25g = 2500 (taking g =10)
=> v = 50m/s

But this answer is incorrect. How do I use the information of the initial velocity and why would it effect the terminal velocity? Shouldn't the terminal velocity be the same no matter what the initial velocity was?

Physics news on Phys.org
W is the weight, not the mass.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
TSny said:
W is the weight, not the mass.

Thanks! I can't believe I did that mistake.

Likes TSny
Also, 25g = 250, not 2500.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
This raises another question. Why would the air resistance depend upon W?

This thread is about 3.5 years old. The original poster has not been seen for the last 1.5 years. We can probably ignore the problematic relationship of air resistance to weight.

We can also ignore the erroneout units of measurement specified in the problem statement. Velocity has units. It is not a pure number.

Clearly the problem is an exercise in formula manipulation, not physics.

Likes dlgoff and berkeman

1. What is the terminal velocity of a falling parachutist?

The terminal velocity of a falling parachutist depends on several factors, such as the weight and size of the parachutist, the air density, and the shape of the parachute. On average, the terminal velocity ranges from 53 to 73 meters per second.

2. How does air resistance affect the terminal velocity of a falling parachutist?

Air resistance, also known as drag force, increases as the speed of the falling parachutist increases. At a certain point, the drag force will become equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as the terminal velocity.

3. Can the terminal velocity of a falling parachutist change?

Yes, the terminal velocity can change depending on the factors mentioned above. For example, if the parachutist changes their body position or the shape of the parachute, it can affect the air resistance and therefore the terminal velocity.

4. How does gravity affect the terminal velocity of a falling parachutist?

Gravity is the force that pulls the parachutist towards the ground. As the parachutist falls, the force of gravity increases, causing the acceleration to decrease until it reaches the terminal velocity.

5. Is the terminal velocity the same for all objects falling through the air?

No, the terminal velocity varies depending on the size, shape, and weight of the object. For example, a feather will have a lower terminal velocity than a brick due to its smaller mass and surface area.