Terminal Velocity of magnet down a copper tube

In summary: It's important to understand the principles and equations involved in order to find a solution. In this case, you may need to do some further research or consult with a teacher or expert for assistance.
krisal

Homework Statement

I[/B]
I am trying to find an equation that relates the velocity of 3 magnet when it falls down a copper tube to my measurement.

The length of the copper tube is L=0.24m,
The total mass of the 3 magnet is m = 4.98x10-3kg
magnetic flux density B = 428mT,
the thickness of the tube w = 0.05cm
inner radius is r= 0.7cm,
the resistivity of the copper tube is p = 1.68x10-8 ohmm
resistance of copper tube is R= 1.77x10-4 ohms
and the terminal velocity that I measured is v = 0.104m/s

Homework Equations

I obtained this equation e=(B^2L^2v)/R from this procedure

e =Blv=IR
F = BIL rearranging for I = F/BL and sub to equation above
e=(B^2L^2v)/R

also

I found an equation in the internet that F = C(Bwv)/p which C is the constant of proportionality but it did not tell what C is.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I used the first equation but the answer for v is much smaller v = 8.2x10-4m/s
I would use the second equation but I do not know what C is

I want an equation that is not very complex to derive

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check the units of your answer? And where exactly does a speed occur there?
krisal said:
I want an equation that is not very complex to derive
Not all problems have easy answers.

1. What is the Terminal Velocity of a magnet down a copper tube?

The Terminal Velocity of a magnet down a copper tube refers to the maximum speed at which the magnet will fall due to the opposing magnetic field created by the copper tube.

2. How is the Terminal Velocity of a magnet down a copper tube calculated?

The Terminal Velocity of a magnet down a copper tube is calculated using the formula v = (2mgh/ρA)^1/2, where v is the Terminal Velocity, m is the mass of the magnet, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the tube, ρ is the density of the magnet, and A is the cross-sectional area of the tube.

3. Does the mass of the magnet affect its Terminal Velocity down a copper tube?

Yes, the mass of the magnet does affect its Terminal Velocity down a copper tube. The heavier the magnet, the faster it will fall due to gravity, but it will also experience a stronger opposing force from the magnetic field of the copper tube, resulting in a lower Terminal Velocity.

4. How does the length of the copper tube affect the Terminal Velocity of a magnet?

The length of the copper tube does not directly affect the Terminal Velocity of a magnet. However, a longer tube will provide a longer distance for the magnet to fall, thus allowing it to reach a higher Terminal Velocity before reaching the bottom of the tube.

5. Can the Terminal Velocity of a magnet down a copper tube be changed?

Yes, the Terminal Velocity of a magnet down a copper tube can be changed by altering the mass or density of the magnet, the length or diameter of the tube, or the strength of the magnetic field generated by the tube. It can also be affected by external factors such as air resistance or the presence of other magnetic fields.