Test Equivalence: Med Student Seeking Help

In summary: Subtracting them would give us an idea of their closeness to each other.In summary, the med student from Sweden needs help with calculating equivalence between two samples in an easy way, using Excel or online tests. They mention using a t-test and obtaining two p-values, but are unsure how to interpret them. They are informed about the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, which can test if two samples have the same distribution, and can be found online or through Excel plug-ins. They also mention the possibility of a test involving subtracting p-values from a t-distribution, which could be done by combining the two samples and finding p-values for each against a common distribution. However, this is only an approximation and may not
awkwardsilence
Hey you guys! I'm a med student from Sweden in need of some help!

I'm doing a summer course type-a thing in a lab, and I have to present some data from a project I've been doing here. Now, I've tested several genes' expression and I've compared those of an experimental group to a control group. Now that I'm done with the experiments, I've found that some genes show a significant difference in expression between exp. group and ctrl group, and others do not. I think two of the genes are more likely then the others to in reality have equal expression of the gene, in both the groups, but I can't prove a null hypothesis with a t-test...

So, my question now is HOW do I calculate equivalence (and get as close as possible to proving the two samples are equal)?

How do I calculate this in an easy way? (Excel/ online test)

From what I understand, there's one type of test where you calculate two(?) p-values with a regular t-test, then subtract from each other and it should be less p=0.10. I don't really understand it though... Like what two p-values could I get from the same samples? :S

I'd love to get an answer from any of you, if you have an idea about how to solve my problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi awkwardsilence! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

I think you're looking for the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test.
It can test if 2 samples have the same distribution.

We can find online calculators for it.
Excel doesn't have it on its own, but there are plug-ins available.
Or else we can do it directly in excel by introducing an intermediate column.

I'm not aware of a test that involves subtracting p-values from a t-distribution.
As for how that might be possible, I can surmise that we could combine the 2 samples into 1 and deduce a means, standard deviation, and degrees of freedom from it. That would be an approximation of the actual common distribution - if it exists. After that, we can find p-values for each of the 2 samples against that distribution.

1. What is test equivalence?

Test equivalence refers to the concept of two tests being equally effective in measuring the same construct or skill. In other words, if two tests are considered to be equivalent, they should produce similar results when administered to the same group of individuals.

2. Why is test equivalence important?

Ensuring test equivalence is important because it allows for fair and accurate comparisons between different tests. This is especially important in fields such as education and healthcare, where test results can have significant impacts on individuals' opportunities and outcomes.

3. How is test equivalence determined?

Test equivalence can be determined through various statistical methods, such as correlation coefficients, factor analysis, and mean comparisons. These methods help to identify any differences or similarities between the two tests in terms of their reliability and validity.

4. What are some challenges in achieving test equivalence?

One of the main challenges in achieving test equivalence is ensuring that the tests are culturally fair and unbiased. This involves taking into account factors such as language, cultural norms, and socioeconomic status. Additionally, ensuring that the tests are administered and scored consistently can also be a challenge.

5. How can test equivalence be improved?

To improve test equivalence, it is important to involve diverse groups of individuals in the development and validation of the tests. This can help to identify and address any potential biases or cultural differences. Additionally, regularly reviewing and updating the tests can also help to maintain their equivalence over time.