Testing RF Waveguides: Using VNA for Freq, Power & Avg

In summary, the conversation discusses testing RF waveguides using a VNA. The speaker mentions setting up the VNA, connecting the waveguides using adaptors, and calibrating the VNA. They also mention using a low IFBW to reduce insertion loss, but it is still out of spec. The speaker is struggling with the testing and asks for any special settings for testing waveguides. They also mention that waveguides are usually not 50 ohms and ask for the WG designation type. The other speaker suggests using a standard calibration kit for rectangular waveguides, but mentions the difficulty of de-embedding. They also mention the need for Touchstone files for the adapters. The conversation ends with the first speaker stating
faheem rana
Hi there

i am trying to test RF Waveguides and testing them.

Something does not look right to me. i am using Freq range, data points, power and avg option

is there anything special we use on VNA for testing Waveguides.

Regards,
Faheem

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you need to describe your setup and problem in more detail.

A VNA is not really a complicated device although setting them up can be a bit tricky until you get used to it. Measuring a 50 ohm waveguide should be straightforward.
How are you connecting the waveguide to the VNA (an adapter I presume)? And how is the VNA calibrated?

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply

We are using these setting

· Start: 14.0GHz
· Stop: 14.5GHz.
· Number of points : 1601
· Average: On
· Averaging: 16 times
· IFBW 70kHz
· Power: -5dBm
· Calibration: Full 2 ports
Power during calibration: -5dBm
Averaging: On

I am ok using VNA and yes it is 50 OHM WG.
We are connecting WG to VNA using adaptors "G4603 UBR140 adaptor, 11.9 to 18GHz"
VNA is calibrated uisng k type connector cal kit as i normally use for all RF test. I think i need to do some setting on VNA but i am struggling with it.
Is there any special settings for testing WG?Regards,
Faheem

No there are no special setting. The only time you need to tell a VNA to do something "special" is if you are measuring devices such as mixers or perhaps using a more complicated calibration scheme (de-embedding etc).. The only thing I would do is to reduce the IF BW to something lower (say a 1kHz or so); just in case the losses are high for some reason. You can always temporarily reduce the number of points a bit to speed up the measurement.
Measuring a 50 ohm waveguide should be no different than measuring a piece of 50 ohm coax.

Have you tried just replacing a waveguide with another 50 ohm line? I.e. just a piece of coax with k-connectors. This will tell you if something has gone wrong when you e.g. calibrated the VNA,

Hi there,

I have tried using low IFBW but insertion loss is still 1.5 dB out of spec.

I have checked my calibration many times and it is fine.

Need to learn some magic :(

Thanks for your hellp

Regards,

Faheem

faheem rana said:
I am ok using VNA and yes it is 50 OHM WG.
We are connecting WG to VNA using adaptors "G4603 UBR140 adaptor, 11.9 to 18GHz"
VNA is calibrated uisng k type connector cal kit as i normally use for all RF test. I think i need to do some setting on VNA but i am struggling with it.
Is there any special settings for testing WG?

waveguide usually ISNT 50 Ohms, usually much higher
As a rule of thumb, waveguide wave impedance is approximately 500 ohms for standard rectangular waveguide.
I have never seen 50 Ohm WG I doubt that it exists

you told us almost everything except the important part
what is the WG designation type

faheem rana said:
Hi there,

I have tried using low IFBW but insertion loss is still 1.5 dB out of spec.

I have checked my calibration many times and it is fine.

Need to learn some magic :(

Thanks for your hellp

Regards,

Faheem

Are you mating the waveguide to coaxial adapters directly to the VNA or through cables?

davenn said:
waveguide usually ISNT 50 Ohms, usually much higher
As a rule of thumb, waveguide wave impedance is approximately 500 ohms for standard rectangular waveguide.
I have never seen 50 Ohm WG I doubt that it exists

I'd assumed the OP refers to something like a coplanar waveguide which are generally 50 ohm..
But if we are actually talking about a rectangular waveguide things get much more complicated, especially if the only a standard calibration kit is available (as opposed to a calibration kit for that type of waveguide). In that case you would presumably need to do some type of de-embedding which I mentioned above which -depending on the type of VNA used- could be quite tricky.
I must admit I wouldn't even know where to start in that case. You would at the very least need the Touchstone files for the adapters (unless they are in the VNA software).

f95toli said:
I'd assumed the OP refers to something like a coplanar waveguide which are generally 50 ohm..

who knows ! :rolleyes:

well actually, when you look at the adaptors he listed, its referring to 50 Ohm coax to standard rectangular WG ... so definitely not coplanar WG which is more related to striplines

I think he misunderstands the function of the adaptors and how they transform 50 Ohm coax to WG transmission lines :wink:

hence why I asked for the WG type info

1. What is an RF waveguide and why is it important to test it?

An RF waveguide is a hollow metal tube used to guide and transmit high frequency electromagnetic waves. It is important to test an RF waveguide to ensure that it is functioning properly and can effectively transmit signals without any interference or loss of power.

2. What is a VNA and why is it used for testing RF waveguides?

A VNA (Vector Network Analyzer) is a type of electronic test equipment used to measure the electrical characteristics of high frequency components such as RF waveguides. It is used for testing RF waveguides as it can accurately measure parameters such as frequency, power, and average signal levels, allowing for precise analysis of the waveguide's performance.

3. How do you set up a VNA for testing an RF waveguide?

To set up a VNA for testing an RF waveguide, you will need to connect the waveguide to the VNA using appropriate adapters. Then, you will need to configure the VNA settings to match the specifications of the waveguide, such as frequency range and power levels. Finally, you can run tests and analyze the results to determine the performance of the waveguide.

4. What are the key parameters to look for when testing an RF waveguide with a VNA?

The key parameters to look for when testing an RF waveguide with a VNA include insertion loss, return loss, and VSWR (Voltage Standing Wave Ratio). These parameters indicate the efficiency of the waveguide in transmitting signals without loss or reflection.

5. Can a VNA be used for testing different types of RF waveguides?

Yes, a VNA can be used for testing different types of RF waveguides as long as the frequency range and power levels are within the capabilities of the VNA. It is important to ensure that the VNA is properly calibrated for each type of waveguide to ensure accurate results.