Testing the pyroelectric effect

• Thread starter neanderthalphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary, the crystal you are using is not producing a voltage during heating, so it may not be polycrystalline. You may need to try a different crystal or setup, or measure the voltage across your probes. You may also need to use an electrometer buffer amplifier.
neanderthalphysics
Hey all,

I bought some LiTaO3 crystals in order to test the pyroelectric effect. Unfortunately I am not detecting any pyroelectric voltage during heating.

According to the vendor, the Z-axis is lengthwise as shown in the attached diagram. I then put the crystal between two metal electrodes, with both ends going to an oscilloscope. The crystal is then heated with a hot air gun. The oscilloscope is giving a real time output of 0V (apart from background noise).

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Chemical analysis by our labs confirmed the crystal to be LiTaO3. If it is not producing any voltage during heating, it could be either my setup is wrong, the crystal is polycrystalline or something I haven't thought of.

Is there any difference between LiTaO3 crystals sold for the pyroelectric vs. piezoelectric effect?

Thanks.

Attachments

• litao3_test_setup.png
    litao3_test_setup.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 177
Engineering news on Phys.org
Some thoughts:
  • Are you sure you have a circuit? Can you measure a resistance across your probes?
  • Given the specifics of your crystal and the rate that you increase the temperature, how much voltage do you expect to see?
  • If you suspect it is polycrystalline, is the resistance greater than the resistance of a single crystal?

In order to read a Piezoelectric transducer, you need to apply your input to the correct crystal axis. Each axis has a different response, ranging from maximum to minimum or zero. Then you need to take the signal from the correct axis. I don't remember which axis that is. And third, a voltmeter will not measure the crystal output because even a 10 Meg input impedance loads it down so much that there is no signal left.

You need a charge amplifier to measure the output of a piezoelectric crystal. I have had good experience with both PCB (www.pcb.com) and Kistler (www.kistler.com) instrumentation.

Likes Baluncore and Bystander
As mentioned above, an oscilloscope input will short circuit the electrostatic voltage. You need an electrometer amplifier as a buffer between the crystal and the oscilloscope input.

If you want to build an electrometer buffer amplifier for your oscilloscope you will need to use low leakage circuit techniques, with the chip on it's back, "dead ant" style, insulated by air, not built on an etched PCB.

There are a many op-amps to select from;
1. I would try a TI op-amp LMC6041 which is low-cost and is listed as having typically a 2 fA input current. It runs on 15 uA so it can be battery powered. It is available from digikey.com for about $5.
2. Alternatively, the Analog Devices ADA4530 is purpose built for electrometer amplifiers but requires more power supply current, digikey price is about $50.
3. Also an outside possibility, using more power supply current but being faster, the Linear Technology LTC6268/LTC6269, digikey price is about $15.

• Informative
Likes Bystander

1. What is the pyroelectric effect?

The pyroelectric effect is a phenomenon in which certain materials generate an electric charge when they are heated or cooled. This is due to a change in the polarization of the material's crystal lattice structure.

2. How is the pyroelectric effect tested?

The pyroelectric effect can be tested by subjecting the material to changes in temperature, either through heating or cooling, and measuring the resulting electric charge using specialized equipment such as a pyroelectric sensor or a pyroelectricity tester.

3. What types of materials exhibit the pyroelectric effect?

The pyroelectric effect is commonly observed in certain types of crystals, including quartz, tourmaline, and lithium tantalate. It can also occur in certain ceramics and polymers.

4. What are the applications of the pyroelectric effect?

The pyroelectric effect has various applications in fields such as sensors, energy harvesting, and infrared detection. It is also used in devices such as thermal imaging cameras, motion detectors, and gas sensors.

5. What factors can affect the pyroelectric effect?

The pyroelectric effect can be influenced by factors such as the composition and structure of the material, the rate of temperature change, and the presence of external electric fields. Additionally, the material's surface conditions and environmental factors like humidity and pressure can also impact the effect.